Tree Sap UPDATE

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerry Mac

Reaction score

Any ideas on removal of tree sap. I have a pine tree that drops on my ST. I have tried commercial "tar and bug" removal products but they don't even touch this stuff. How strong a chemical can I use and not damage the paint.

Thanks

Gerry Mac

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the strongest citrus cleaner you can find and it'll take it right off without harming the finish. I have some industrial strength stuff made by Zep , Big Orange", but I doubt you'll be able to find it retail.

I asked this same question last year (I have russian/autumn olive trees) and tried every product I could find to take it off. It took the detail shop 3 buffings to get it all out. Followed by 2 coats of paint sealant, so far so good. Good luck in your search, BC

didnt some one say a hairdryer one time ?? dont remember..

Todd Z

bill barber is correct...or at least mostly correct.

I always use White Gas/Kerosene or Coleman fuel.

Works great and won't harm the finish. Just remember to wash and wax after you get the tar off.

...Rich

A freind of mine that road triped alot. He would mix 1 cup of kerosene and dawn dish soap, in a 5 gallon bucket. Cleaned very good without harm. You will have to rewax.

I use Meguiars NXT on the Trac and when the pine sap dries , I can pick it off in one piece with my finger. It will wash off sometimes. Must not like the polymers.

Yes, WD40 works as a very good solvent. In fact it is a far better solvent than it is a lubricant for squeaking hinges, etc, most people buy and use it for.

...Rich

Latest posts