Tree sap is the winner!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Caffyn

Reaction score
Thanks for all your input on this matter. But I can't get it out. Goo gone, WD-40, denatured alcohol, Turtle wacks bug and tar remover. All failed. I held off on the gasoline. So, its going to the detail shop for some intense buffin' if this fails, the body shop will do a wet sand with 2000 grit, compound and polish. It looks like I'm gonna have to call Gavin and borrow some 80 grit discs. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Try 1/2 cup of kerosene per gallon of water with dawn dishsoap. It worked to get chenicals off, from where I worked. Acid fallout from our scubber stacks.

I hook up a hose to the hot water tank and hit it with that. I had a windshield that was loaded with tree sap once so I tried just about everything to remove it because I wasn't worried about hurting the glass. I used everything from GooGone to brake cleaner and the only thing that worked, and worked fast was plain ole HOT water...natures solvent.

Bob C,

Is it layer of hardened sap or did the residue from the sap soak into the clear-coat and paint discoloring (staining) it?

If it is the latter, then you might simply be bumming.

I know because I have had stuff sit on my white car too long that seem to stain it pretty deeply.

TJR

I have found a hair dryer will soften it....

Todd Z

I've used straight paint thinner for years on numerous vehicles........works great. Just make sure you use a soft cloth on a cold finish.....then rewax the area.