transmission whine? Also what is this part?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael b

Reaction score
When the ST starts up I hear a whine (like a supercharger whine if you will) The colder it is the longer it does it. I used a stethascope to try to pinpoint the sound & it appears to be from the transmission area (I think) It seemed really louder near this connection thing (the blue plug in deal) Any idea what the "blue thing" is or what might make the whining sound? The trans shifts just as good as it always has etc. This sound has been going on for maybe a year or so. Other then the sound there is no other symptoms/problems. [Broken External Image]:

Thats the wiring harness connector......

IS the wine when driving or sitting idle in park or neutral or idling in gear ??

Todd Z

I have this same problem I beleive...

I had my tranny rebuilt, mine does it when its warmed up more than cold. Does it in neutral, park, drive, until I hit over about 1200RPM... then I think it stops or is no longer noticeable...

Its more like a squeel, I have a new belt, new alternator, newly rebuilt tranny, etc..

My mechanic was also down under and said that he didnt hear it in the tranny, but more in the area of the last 2 cats, but there is no way thats what it is, as its a squeel and cats dont move,... Im really frusterated, but I haveyet to take it to a dealer.... I guess I should cause its almost unbearable in a drive-thru line.

faster the rpms the louder the whine. It will do it in gear & at idle & while driving. It only does it on cold starts first thing in the AM. Kinda weird cause its been doin' it for a year & the trans always engages normal & shifts normal.

Sounds like the whine that accompanys the chirping and fluttering in my '07 V8. In any case -- could it be coming from the torque converter? I would think that that's the only area of the transmission that has any rotation while the engine is revved, in nuetral or park.

XST,

I almost ran over a cat one time with my 'Trac, and you should have heard that sucker

"Squeal and Move"!!!

On a more serious note: The only thing rotating at all times is the torque converter,

or maybe the front pump in the transmission ( I'm not sure of the exact series of events

in a Ford Transmission, as I have been a G.M. man most of my life), but I do know

some G.M. transmissions exhibit a whining noise out of the converter/front pump

area, if so equipped, and this may or may not be normal depending on the type of

transmission in the particuliar vehicle or year.

The tranny in my '05 whines in the lower gears, and at lower r.p.m.s, but all is

shifting normally, for now, anyways!

Transmissions do not have any sort of insulation around them, and being primarily

a hydraulic device, you are going to notice some level of noise, or whine, from them,

as the pumps and servos do their job.

Engineering/Science Majors, chime in here, and explain why this is normal!!!;)