Transmission Slipping?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A K

Reaction score
A week or two ago, when driving, my transmission seemed to pop out of gear and then back in. A slight clunk occurred each time. I thought it was a hiccup as I never had any issues.

Tonight, while on leg 0-60 miles on a 120 mile trip, it did the same 5-7 times (don't recall exactly). Somewhere around 4th or 5th gear, depending on the terrain (e.g., 5th when cruising on the highway), it would lose, rev (not too high, but then again, when I felt it happen, I let off the gas), then catch with a clunk. I tried to baby it as I had to get back here and also tried turning off OD, but it still did it a few times. From leg 61-120 miles, it was fine.

I'm back now and plan on pulling the negative battery cable and letting it sit to reset the system. However, beyond this, is there anything I might consider before taking it to a shop to check the transmission?

2004 XLT. The transmission was flushed approximately 20,000 miles ago. The engine and transmission have 76,000+/- miles on it.

And yes--I'm a bit ticked as I have towed a trailer less than 10 times, and when towing, never more than 2,000 pounds with O/D off. Never took it up steep inclines with the trailer. And never drove the Trac hard; if anything, it's 76,000 light foot miles.

Any advice is really appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, trans shop. Sounds as if the valve body has, some sticking shift solenoids. hopefully not a full rebuild.

DID you ever replace the filter or just do flushes ???

IF so I would drop the pan, change the filter and do the EPC mod...

what fluid was used in the last flush ?

Todd Z

Todd,

I had my shop do the full service, though in hindsight I don't know about the filter. The invoice is not particular enough. I told them to make sure they use Merc V, but again, the invoice only lists the fluid and not the particular type.

Looks like I have a project for this weekend as the only way I know something is done right is to do it myself. Unfortunately.

OR watch the shop do it....... and I allways try and supply the parts and fluid if a shop must do it.... this way i know what i got...

YOUR also welcome to drive here and i can do it at the shop, or let my tranny shop do it...

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the offer, Todd. I'm either going to baby it back to the Poconos or trailer it there (a bit concerned with driving another 100+ miles) and change the fluid and filter. If that doesn't work, I'll hit up a trans shop there. If it requires a rebuild or anything fairly extreme, I'll probably have them patch it back together to get me to a dealer and look for what's next. I love the truck, but with the mileage I've been putting on it, it wouldn't kill me to look in the direction of fuel economy.

Plus that way I can tell folks what I am considering and let the argument begin over domestic vs. foreign. :)

Latest posts