Transmission Service

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Hey everyone...

Its cold here, I need to get an oil change, and I am constantly thinking about changing my tranny fluid, but I dont have heat in my garage, so im considering having a "Mr. Lube" do this work today... What I want to know is, is this fairly standard service that they cant really mess up? I dont trust these drive thru places really, but I have no choice right now. Also, will they use the proper tranny fluid?

Thanks!

Call them first to make sure that have MercV...

I can be t they have some type of "magic" additive or "universal" fluid they will use....

Stop by Ford and get 5 Qts of the motorcraft Black bottle MercV......

As far as messing up, YES !!!... they can snap bolts, crush the gasket, ( the ST gasket is NOT reusable and they should have them with the filter kits) Install the rubber o rings wrong the filter.

If the guys know what they are doing, IT should be fine, But do not mess with those additives or other fluids...

ALSO how many miles you have ??? you may want to find a local tranny shop that does oil changes and let them do the service as well as an EPC adjustment..

Todd Z

XST-I get all my work done at Crowfoot Ford. They drop the pan and change the filter. I have not had any problems with them. Of course they cost more because they are a dealer, but I have had some bad luck at the Mr. Lube by my house, heck, they put the wrong oil filter on one of my trucks, that was the last time I went there.

Todd, now this is twice these past few days that you've said that the gasket isn't reusable. I'm by no means questioning the advice of the "Z-Man" but I was told by the dealer it was reusable thus the reason when you get the filter from Foed, they don't have the gasket. You have to buy it seperate. I have dropped my pan twice now, and reused the gasket both times with no leaks. Maybe I'm that good, but I don't think so. The one on mine was about one of the thickest, toughest gaskets I've seen on a tranny. I just wiped it off and put it back on. Just wondering about your statement.;)

The gasket is a thick heavy duty gasket and can be reused if removed carefully and you don't over tighten the pan and bend the pan or crack the gasket..., BUT it is caulk not rubber like the "TRUE" reusable gaskets.

ALSO on the mustang and some Explorers the pan has stamped in it that it has a reusable gasket.

The ST pan does not , Yes the gasket is thick and has crush stops on it, But it is not labeled as reusable...

For the $18 bucks I replace mine....

Todd Z

Ok, just wondering. Like I said, when I got mine, the dealer (of course mine is a buch of d*cks) told me that it was reusable. So the next time I drop it I'll just replace it. That will be just about the time I trade it in, so it will be someone elses problem.:D

Want another ST Todd? Third ones a charm.;)

I changed my trans oil and filter twice already. Still using the old pan gasket. No leaks and easy to reinstall. Maybe I will change it at 90k

Latest posts