Transmission problem?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn Lyle

Reaction score
Borrowed a trailer today. Hooked it up and went to back up... Nothing. My trac just sat there. I was able to pull away and it worked. Drove home and stopped to back into the driveway. Again, the engine revs but it doesn't want to back up.

Checked the fluid, it's ok.

01, job 1 with over 100,000.

No noise from the transmission or anything. Any ideas?

:wacko:

Sticky valve, Dirty filter,

Time for service???

Todd Z

The sticking valves in the valvebody are activated by electric solenoids. This causes extra strain on the solenoids, weakening them and eventually they fail completely.

You are probably way past a fluid change/flush and now it won't do you much good. You probably need to replace the valvebody and solenoids at minimum. Then you can change the filter, tweak the EPC valve a bit to boost the transmission fluid pressure and hope that gets you going again.

...Rich

I created my profile because u need to hear this, I had this same problem a month ago. My tranny blew up 3 days after I lost reverse. Something internal blew through the top right rear side of the case and made a hole about the size of a nickel. Needless to say the transmission was ruined and i had to get a new one. I had just gotten it serviced 1500 miles before this and have had it serviced every 40,000 miles. I had 102K when it happened. The fluid level was fine. I really don't know what caused it but it sounds exactly the same as your situation.....Good luck, any ?'s feel free.