Transmission flush ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Partridge

Reaction score
I have 118,000 klm on the truck . not sure if transmission 6 speed has ever had fluid changed. Seems the filter is way inside and not easy to replace. Ford recomends a flush.

180 bucks plus tax. Would This cause any internal problems? I don't like putting new fluid in passing through an old filter. Does fllushing clean the filter as well ?

Thanks for any advice

As you have over 100k and doubt it has been flushed, I wouldn't touch it.

Many have done a flush late int he life of the transmission only to have the tranny fail shortly after...

Thanks.

Yes I read most of the valid comments. Ford mentioned that the 6 speed had the filter in the top. To get to it was a lot of labor . Not an easy task. ( Bad design ) I don't want them screwing up something that isn't broke. My Jimmy had over 150,000 without a transmission flush . How the heck do they get the fluid in with no dipstick ? This might end up

costing 300 bucks or more. Ford mentioned 116,000 klm not miles is still considered ok for a flush.

I think I will just have the pan taken off drained and replace a small amount of the fluid for

the first couple times till I build up confidence that no harm has been done, Mr transmission

seems to be less expensive. I will have to keep researching. Should have bought a new one

if money were on trees. Oh ya taking it in for a transmission recall some solenoid needs replacing. Not sure if it is internal or not. Cheers

Just got my tranny flushed at work. Seems to be riding a little smoother. Hope it gets better in the future. My mileage is 84,###. Never had it changed before. Bought my truck when it had 67,000 on it. :driving:

How the heck do they get the fluid in with no dipstick ?

wayne the dip stick is mounted on the fill plug on the trans. IMO, with those miles. I would at least dump the pan and change the filter.

"DISCLAIMER, ALL THIS INFO IS POSIBILITIES"

Thanks Eddie . It will take a while to get use to my first ford.:banghead: Is their also a prefered oil filter wrench to get at the filter on the v8.

I agree since you have over 100K miles and don't know how or when the transmission was service last by the previous owner/s, I would drop the pan get the filter and fluid changed ASAP. If your old transmission fluid smells burnt, you might want to follow with a transmission flush as soon as your budget will allow it.

Afterwards, I would get transmission flushed every 25K-30K miles.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why people think a transmission flush in a high mileage vehicle will result in transmission failure? My assumption is that the transmission was giving symptoms of failure and that's why they had the flush done in the first place and they want to blame the shops. I do know that some shops will not guarantee their work if the vehicle has high mileage and they have not done regular transmission flushes on that vehicle. The other possiblity is that the shop that did the flush used the wrong kind of transmission fluid for that vehicle?

A transmission flush just replaces about 98% of the old fluid in the transmission vs a drop-the-pan fluid change that only changes about 50% of the old fluid. The flush uses a machine connected in series with the cooling lines...as the transmission pumps out each quart of old fluid a quart of new fluid is put back into the transmission. This can be done using only the transmissions internal pump pressure and does not require the use of any external pumps. No solvents or other chemicals are needed or should be used.

Some shops will offer a more expensive flush where they first pump in some kind of cleaning solution they claim gets all the dirt out of your transmission ??? That's a bunch of BS and is not needed and may even be detrimental to the transmission. Even the Ford dealership where I worked offered this service for $269. When I questioned the Service Manager about that, he just smiled and shrugged his shoulders and said "That's what the boss wanted"

Also don't use any shop that says that they back-flush the transmission to clean the filter, or use an external pump to force fluid through the transmission...that's a bunch of BS too. It is impossible to push fluid through the transmission backwards and you don't want any abnormal pump pressures forced through your tranny.

...Rich

The dealership recommended the filter be changed. He said flushing has a bad rap because people think of it as a high pressure. He mentioned they do not recommend solvents of any kind. Low pressure. I think he put my mind at ease. Now just waiting for the price.

OILfilter wrench, that works simply awesome on most cars and trucks, and the BEST for the v8 ST !!

[Broken External Image]: