Transmission Fluid Leak?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynthia Grant

Reaction score
My 2003 ST (212K miles) is leaking fluid (drops, not a steady stream) of pinkish-light brown liquid. It feels oily, but doesn't seem to have an odor. It's hitting the ground in the center of the truck, about 6 inches behind the front wheels. Could this be transmission fluid? I put a picture in my library folder showing the fluid leak on white paper under my truck.

My (general) mechanic checked the transmission a few months ago because it felt to me like it was hesitating, but he thought it was OK (and couldn't find a leak at that time). This is the 2nd transmission. First one died about 120K miles. So this one has almost 100K on it.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate your input!

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like it, Could be Power Steering fluid too, but that far back sounds like a front seal in the tranny or the pan.

Maybe have a second mechanic look at it.

Todd Z

How long since you replaced the fluid and filter? That may help.

Changing transmission fluid and filter will help with a leak? Unless the pan gasket is leaking, how?

You really can't tell where the fluid is leaking from based on where it hits the floor. Many slow, minor leaks will run along the engine, steering, or transmission parts and drip to the garage floor far from the actual location of the leak. Often times, the leak will hit the floor further back than where the leak occurred because driving down the road forces the leaking fluid towards the rear of the vehicle.

The only real way to tell where the leak is involves getting under the vehicle and following the drip back to the source of the leak.

A few tips.... Transmission fluid is usually a very bright red color when new, and even when older, it will still have a very distinct red color..just darker. Engine oil is typically a light tan to nearly black in color, depending on how long it has been in the engine. Power steering fluid and brake fluid are usually clear but will become darker over time.

...Rich

^ Good info Rich. Just FYI, factory power steering fluid is red Mercon V, not clear P/S fluid.

Steve,

Yes, your point is well taken. That's why I said "Usually" because some people, and shops use generic power-steering fluid which usually works fine. I know that Honda is very picky about using only their power-steering fluid....but I don't know if Ford is that picky?

...Rich

Latest posts