Transmission & Coolant Flush???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy Moore

Reaction score
I know Ford recommends a transmission & coolant flush at 60k but is it really necessary or just a way to make more money? I work at a Ford dealership as some of you may know but I have never had that done before. Although, it has been 10 years since I have had a vehicle with over 60,000 miles on it. My STA (4.6 V8) has 48k on it now. What do some of you think?

all goes on how you feel about your vehicles..... How you drive it and how the previous owner drove it...

I change my tranny fluid, drain and fill every 20-30K.....do the filter every 60.....

the six speed in your adren I believe was scheduled for 100K??? IF not I am wrong, BUT I know I am going to do my way earlier then that....

I drive my vehicles to the limit, I push them, tow and do race.... To me a $200.00 spent on a tranny now saves me 4K later it was well worth it....

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with Todd. I feel better knowing im maintaining it every year for $200 than $4000 in a couple years. I had mine flushed for the first time last week and I she drives/shifts better than the day I drove her off the lot. And Im getting better gas mileage (2-3 mpg)...guess cause its shifting smoother??? Never crossed my mind.

Is there any projects listed on this forum of how to flush the Trans yourself?

Other than going to the local Transmission service center?

Just did a complete flush (16 quarts) and filter change on my '08 @ 40K miles. Runs better than new and much better with the reprograming of the TCM. BC

I'm not one for factory maintenance schedules as I believe that they let some things go way too long. I"ve been professionally wrenching for 22+ years now and I do my trans and coolant every 30k.

Transmission control module

Todd Z

The Ford Automatic Transmission have been plagued with problems way back to the 4 speed version of the 5 speed and 6 speed used on the Sport Trac's (as well as other Ford vehicles)

Because of Ford's history of transmission problems, I flushed my transmission within 30K miles on both my 2001 and 2003 Sport Trac's. I never noticed any problems with the 2001, but after getting the transmission flushed and refilled with a 100% synthetic Mercon-V, it was like a new truck. Shifts were firm and quick and even acceleration was much quicker. I never felt any problems with my 2003, but I had the same flush done at only 20K miles as a precautionary measure. I did not notice any difference in the shifting or performance, but that was OK since it only cost $85 and that was cheap insurance. I traded in the 2003 with 34K miles and never had any problems.

As Todd said, it depends on how your drive and how long you keep your vehicles. If you replace them every couple of years, then you probably don't want to spend a lot of money on maintenance that may only benefit the next owner, but then it might just jump up and bite you in the ass while you still own the truck? It's the old "Pay me now or pay me later"

You do not have to get your fluid or cooling system flushed at the Ford Dealer...They will likely charge you about twice what an independent shop would charge.

...Rich

i took mine to my mechanic and he did the "flush". He had to put a special fitting (a"T" fitting or something) on one of the trans cooler lines. This was done after the pan was removed and a new filter was installed and the pan replaced. In order to remove all of the old fluid, it took 16 quarts to completely flush it out. This was done with Ford syn mercon-5 (thanks Todd) and a unit to remove and pump in the new stuff. It was about a $350 bill. BC :welcome: