Transmission Additive needed?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin McGowan

Reaction score
I just changed my transmission filter and oil. Now it slips in reverse......i will be backing up and then it will just pop out.........not all the time just mostly when its ran for the first time in the day. Do i need this top secret specail ford additive...........I put Castrol Mercon V in it. If the additive is needed........can i order off this site or the internet or do i have to go to the dealer.......any help would be appreciated......thanks Kevin

Kevin, I do not believe that any additive is needed. Mercon V is what is called for just as it comes out of the bottle. If it happened just after a filter and fluid change, I would suspect that maybe the filter or some contaminant is the cause. The additive was for the '05 Trac's I believe 'cause the factory screwed up.

If you used Mercon-V or a Mercon-V compatible fluid then you should not need the additive. Was your truck recalled to add the fluid?

I suspect that you may have used a fluid that was not Mercon-V compatible, or you over filled or under filled the transmission.

The other possibility if you changed the filter is that you did not get the correct filter or it was not installed correctly. That may be causing the pump to suck air instead of fluid and the transmission slips until the air gets purged?

...Rich

Did you use a 2x4 and not a 4x4 filter??? they are different and can cause a problem..

Also There are 2 different bolts that hold the filters on for the 93-96 tyranny's. If the parts place gave you the wrong kit you will have problems..the filter is the same, but the bolt is different..

The last thing I can think of is did you disturb any of the wiring in the tranny??

Todd Z

Latest posts