transMISSION ACCOMPLISHED?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodney Leary

Reaction score
Have been having an intermittent OD flash for a few months. Trans got worse and worse and the slippage got worse and worse. Tried Lucas Trans fix and it got even worse still.

Last ditch effort before taking to the shop, I followed a project here on this wonderful website and changed my own transmission fluid and filter. I started by using the advice of a friend and used 1/2 can of Sea foam treatment 24 hrs before. The next night I borrowed my boss' garage and jacks... went through the VERY messy process of changing the fluid. Three hours later (im a novice and i took my time) I had a new filter, new gasket, and 4.5 quarts of new fluid ($45 total after online coupon from Advance). I also used the remaining 1/2 can of Sea Foam. BTW- the fluid and pan were VERY dirty.

The old trans is running like new again and still shifting well after 48 hours. YAY! It's feels like a huge weight off my shoulders.

Also, BONUS! I found the elusive squeak that has been bothering me for months. It was a metal bracket that was holding some cables. The bolt had fallen off and it was sitting on top of the transmission and squeaking metal on metal. Removed the bracket and now the squeak is GONE! HALLELUIAH!

Just wanted to share the bit of good news!

:banana:

Kewl!! you go lucky... Keep in mind, you only changed 1/3 of the fluid... I'd change it again at least 2x, or take it to a shop that has a trans fluid change machine...

Latest posts