Transfercase broken?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Donaldson

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have been working on my now V8 sport trac for a while now trying to get it into a drivable condition. Well today I drove it to get new lower ball joints pressed in and a wheel alignment (something i could not do myself). Previous to this I had made two other attempts to do this... one of which my hubs failed and the more recent by rigged transmission line came undone and a pumped about the entire contents of the transmission on to the road and had to re-rig it and limp home. sorry for all that but I think it may be important for the diagnosis.

Well on the way there today the car started to chug or surge when you let off the gas and began to coast. The surge was definitely related to the drive line and not the motor. it was almost like some one was pumping the break or the transmission was shifting up and down rapidly. I thought it could be the transmission except it stops immediately when you apply gas or press on the break and the transmission seems to shift really good. This surge or pulse is very noticeable. I was hoping it was the ball joints being really worn out and the tires just wiggling weird. well brand new ball joints and it still did it on the way home. So drained t-case fluid and it looks old and nasty but it was not empty or anything. So any Idea's?:D

Thanks for all advice and help:

-Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you emptied the trans fluid, IT may have damaged the tranny, converter, or something else and it is the tranny...

Todd Z

I applaud you for going where no one else has, and truley hope you can get all in order.

As Todd said your tranny is most likly toast:)

to do what you have done IMO, you have to rebuild everything, except possibly the rear diff, would not rig anything with all the efforts you have gone thru.

If the tranny is rebuildable, which I am certain it may be, find a shop that builds perf. trannys.

4 yrs ago i had mine re-done with all lentech componants, not cheap but bullit proof.

I hope to see you finish this project and have a trac that is one of a kind.

If you rig things, you will have one major problem after the other.

Good luck.

If it's an AWD how are the tires? Are they all the same size adn of the same make. Your symptons sound like what we see when we get Ford AWD systems in that have mismatched tires. The viscious clutch inside the transfer goes nuts trying to split the torque due to the different speeds the wheels are traveling from the different tires. I have even had same brand/size tires be off my as much as 3/4". It's not something you can really see and needs to be measured, if I am not misaken the max allowable tire cimcumfrence difference is 1/2"