Transfer case issue?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Martin 2

Reaction score
OK so as everyone knows there was a storm today. Well I used my 4x4 and well there seems to be an issue. It feels like I'm hitting a pothole hard while on the gas off a light and when I'm stopping it feels like a tranny bump... Sometimes while shifting gears it will do it too.

Anyone have an idea if its the motor going or if I've pooched the transfer case.

Need more info. Is it raining or snowing and are the roads icy? Does the road transition from good to poor traction (i.e., in and out of ice)?

The transfer case is of the "locked" variety and is not to be used unless the tires can spin, or the transfer case will lock-up. A wet road is not the place for this type transfer case.

Could be that the chain is kaput and is jumping, but I've not heard of this as a problem on the ST.

Sounds like you just need to engage it more often.

Next rain storm on a straight road use the 4wd. See how it is.

It could be the normal too that your not used to. The St is not a smooth 4wd vehicle ..LOL

Todd Z

Oh its definitely not the norm Todd lol. The roads were snow covered and icey. If I was on the gas say coming off a light it will clunk and the whole truck shakes. And it does it while on the gas at a steady pace. If I'm coasting its fine and no issues. I'm gonna take it to the mechanic and see what he thinks. Either that or I'm just gonna pull out the transfer case and have it rebuilt. Or find one at the wrecker.

Can the transfer case be removed and the truck still driveable while its worked on? I'm leaning to no haha.

No; it drives both drive shafts.

If you don't mind a trade for a previously rebuilt unit (if that's what's needed), a good mechanic should be able to swap them in half a day.

I'd do a trade out for sure.....just trying to find a good used one here is difficult. I found four here but they all have in excess of 350,000 kms on them. Im not really trusting of one with that many k's on it lasting too long.

Ya - rebuilt is better than used. Maybe you can mail-order one and have it installed locally?

I did a (really) quick search ...

Thanks yardsale but anything that big coming from the States is going to kill me in costs. I'm in Canada.... So shipping plus boarder crap its just too much. Trying to find one locally is in my.best interest. I may end up looking for another trac as a doaner.... Just need to convince the wife that it's needed lol

Latest posts