Transfer Case Interchangeability

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Vinke

Reaction score
I've got an '01 ST that needs a new transfer case, found some under $100 in local junkyards, but they show several different model numbers. Anybody know how to tell, or if I could get one from an Explorer? I assume the gear ratio's have to be the same, I know mine has 4:11 in the rear.

The 4:11 gear ratio in your differential means nothing. However there are many styles of t-cases, you need to get the part off your t-case and match it up. What is wrong with your t-case?

Not sure what's wrong with mine - it goes into 4x4 high or low and pulls in 4 under extremely light load, but the second you give it any kind of gas and go 4+ mph it clunks and pops out of 4 (4x4 dash light stays on), I can let off the gas completely and get the 4x4 to re-engage and then clunks and pops back out. However, I can put it it in 4x4 high or low and go in REVERSE anywhere I want to and give it as much gas as I want and it and it never pops out. I've been inside a t-case a long time ago, and I know their not too hard to rebuild, but for under $100 I figure I'll just slap a working one in.

Sounds like the shift motor is not holding it in position. Any parts store has the shift motor, I would try swapping that before the entire t-case. The 3 little screws on the shift motor are easier then pulling the t-case. The t-case either works or it is broke. If it works at 4mph then it should work at 40mph.