Transfer Case hose split, leaking fluid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becker69 CO

Reaction score
I have a hose which looks like it's coming from the tranny to the transfer case and when it meets the t-case it is split and looks like it's leaked some fluid. It is a soft rubber hose (that I thought previously was a vent line) and has NO clamp at all when it meets the t-case. It looks like just a bit of fluid lost at where it meets the t-case, as the rubber end is oiled. What hose is this and am I correct that it is coming from the tranny? I'm trying to figure out how to best fix it. I ran a trail in 4-lo yesterday (for 15 miles) and a few days ago I didn't notice the leak when doing a pre-trail check of my driveline. I had my t-case serviced in May, and it doesn't look like much fluid has been lost (fortunately!). Any help would be appreciated. I don't know if I can clamp it and cut it short and reattach it... depending on fluid running on the line I don't know how best to remove it and replace the hose. TIA.

Douglas.

can you post a pic ???

Todd Z

OK, thank you here's two pics both from under the t-case looking up at the hose on the driver's side front of the transfer case. The hose comes from the trasfer case up and on top of the tranny but I can't see where it terminates. I was told that it was a breather tube, but it is oily around the split in the hose... any insight? Thanks again.:) [Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

It is a breather tube.....

You can zip tie or clamp it ant it should be ok....

It looks like it got hot or is dry rotting..

Todd Z

Thanks! I was told to remove it and take it to a shop, get the same size 'fuel line' and vent all my breathers to a higher up area nearer the body. I don't do many water crossings and in several years of wheelin' I haven't done it yet.... so it may seem a little overkill but then I don't have to worry about any of them (t-case, tranny, and diffs).

Thanks again.

Latest posts