Trans Cooler Line Leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Housman

Reaction score
Over the past week I've been noticing small stains in the driveway and road where I park. After pulling of the plastic underneath I determined it was trans fluid. The hose going from the cooler in front of the radiator to the stainless steel line was a little loose and I was able to move it so I tightened down the clamp and went on my way. The next day at work I noticed a larger than normal puddle under the truck. Got home and put it up on ramps, pulled of the plastic guard again and this time with the truck running I could see trans fluid squirting out of the side of the stainless steel line. There's a pinhole I didn't notice the first time since I didn't have the truck running. Is there any way to fix this without replacing that stainless steel line? Plumbers tape? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

If its on a straight part of the steel line, then you can cut it and install a union / flare joint. (You need about 1 inch on either side of the pinhole to work with.)

JB weld putty wrap...

Or JB weld expoxy mix. you will have to use thin card board. Or a tape wrap to hold the epoxy in place. Like a patch until it sets.

Use Transmission hose, Cut the line back and Double clamp on new longer hose.... Done.

Fixed about 4 Sport tracs this way..

Todd Z

Latest posts