Tranny service on Gen2 ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Yarbough

Reaction score
I didn't want to hi jack another thread so I'm starting this one. In another thread Gavin said:

Kind of like my dealer's refusal to change the ATF or flush the transmission in my '07. Must be something fragile about our tracs that the dealers don't want to service them.

Please enlighten me on the details, I have 31K on my 07 V8 Trac and I was planning on having the transmission serviced soon. When i called my dealer to inquire on the cost I didn't get any indication that it was NOT recommended. My primary reason for servicing the tranny this soon is because I tow regularly and I'm getting prepared for a trip from Dallas to Atlanta where I will be towing.

I purchased a CPO 07 V6 ST w/ 32K on the clock in 2/08. I was asking in detail about what fluids were changed since the checklist indicated all fluids were either checked and/or changed, so.. I was told that the tranny fluid on my 07 would not need servicing (changing until 100K miles). I questioned this very hard, and wanted to talk to the service mgr, he told me the same, nothing needed until 100K. I still did not believe it, and asked if the dealership GM would sign a written statement indicating this. Guess what, HE DID. Later I asked my service advisor about this 100K mile stuff, and he said that's what FMC recommends but he didn't think it was a good idea either, and recommended changing it around 50K or so just to be on the safe side, which I agree with. My 07 has 40K on it now, but I don't drive it everyday anymore. I asked about the tranny fluid specifically since I had an 02 ST 4wd tranny that bit the dust AFTER I had the fluid changed @ around 75K, I was the 2nd owner on this 02. Ended up installing a new tranny in the 02. I have heard/read several times (after the 02 experience naturally) that if the original tranny fluid goes a long time (75K or more) to NOT change the fluid, just add to it as/if needed as the new fluid will cause some sludge to break free, etc., and clog up things. Apparently this is true in my case anyway but I could not prove it if my life depended upon it.

Unfortunately, we cannot check the tranny fluid ourselfs on the G2 models, so I would suggest you take it to the dealer and have them check the fluid levels and condition (color/smell, etc) does the fluid still look cherry red, etc., and go from there.

You can check the trans fluid level on gen 2. The plug where the dip tube should be, has a dip stick on it. You have to crawl under it now...ugh..:blink:

I tow quite a bit too with my '07 V8 Trac, so I figured it would be good to service the transmission regularly as I do with all my vehicles I plan to keep for any length of time. I took it to the dealer last month (had 34,000 miles on it) and the dealer told me that Ford recommended that the '07 transmissions not be flushed or fluid changed- they were sealed for life. I protested, but he said they were not allowed to flush or change the fluid in them, and that the transmissions were very tough and "it will be fine".

I figure they won't do it until the drivetrain warranty is expired, and then they will be all over me to get it flushed everytime I take it in.

interesting note....I have an 07 V8 34K miles, did a long trip from Los Angeles to Moab towing a 24 ft travel trailer...ST handled fine, but when I did my next oil change after the trip, they checked and I was 2 qts low on tranny fluid, but no leak...

the dealer actually reccomended me to change the fluid at 50K, and I asked about the owners manual saying 100K, and they said, yeah it CAN, but it's always good policy to change it.

Either way, I bought mine as a CPO used, so I have the powertrain warranty up to 100K to cover it.

Since you do tow, I'd say monitor the level, and just change it when you see the fluid change.

Last edited by a moderator: