Tranny Not shifting

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TowTrac

Reaction score
I had the valve body done 5 years ago at about 100K. AAMCO took good care of me. I beat that VB up towing and hauling and I never had a problem until I hit 200K.

Now I have trouble shifting out of first and second gear when In "d".

I can column shift (1,2,D) and it works good if I take 2nd up to 45mph and shift into "D"

Everything works fine if I turn the OD off and drive in "D"

My question is what is wrong with my tranny. I don't want to spend $2K on a rebuild if I don't need it. I don't think It needs a rebuild because everything technically is shifting fine when the OD is off. I drove it for 5 hours and about 75 miles and never once had an tranny flare/slip or anything when I had the OD off.

I took it to two tranny shops and they all want $2K plus to rebuild or just look at it.

I really think it could be the shift selinoids or a vacuum line or something.

If anyone has any other suggestions or advice I'm all EARS.

Thanks John

2004 V6 4x4 auto xlt 200,141 MILES !!!:haveabeer:

Last edited by a moderator:
If that's all that AAMCO did was put a valve body in it then you have gotten your use out of that trans.

Do you have overdrive and do you you have torque converter lockup?

My ST is around 110k. I had two instances of the OD light blinking in the past year, they went away after restarting. Within the last month I have started having a flare between 2nd and 3rd. I tried Lucas Transmission fix and it got instantly worse... time for me to drop at a shop to get a pro to look at it.

Im not interested in a rebuild on this truck and it might get sold below value to someone willing to have the work done.

thanks I will check out that post.

AAMCO did pull a few codes, but off the top of my head I don't remember, I wrote them down on the receipt.

I do have overdrive still. I will probably rebuild it anyway. but I'm trying to make it last as long as I can.

Rodney- if I were you I'd get that tranny looked at Amd serviced asap. My first OD flashing like was at 120k. I simply ignored it and over time I could barely feel the slipping going on. Until 180k the OD light flashed again Amd it immediately started slipping bad.

TT- a big common issue is this valve body. As of right now, what might have cause my slipping was this o ring on the tranny filter that was missing a big chunk. I got the shop to do a tranny flush with new filter and o ring and AT oil and they said the computer didn't give any codes after that. So hopefully it runs well when I pick it up tomorrow.

Latest posts