tranny issue beat to death ....sorry

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A S

Reaction score
:blink:well.....since coming to this website for 3 yrs...I have read the numerous posts on the tranny issues.......now my 03 4X2 4:10 seems....and I mean seems to slip once in awhile....so I called the dealership where I bought it new and talked to an experienced service mgr. who said that as long as there are no O/D or check engine lights coming on....then don't worry about it since those lights will come on long before any serious damage could happen to the tranny.....my driving habits are a little old lady like...I tend to feather the gas on the open road and it seems to confuse the shift points a little.....so on the way to work I went ahead and pushed the gas a little harder and it seems to shift better.....could it be my driving habits......like I said....there is just a little delay between 3 or 4 I think but not always.....it is still under warranty ...only 23k on it......what would you experts do about this.....I am surprised that the service mgr. said they would love to rebuild my tranny for me since it is under warranty but its not necessary and that there are certain characteristics of this tranny that act like what I have stated.......the guy seemed honest enough to me....I am paying much more attention to the tranny since reading this web site......maybe I'm just paraniod............what do you guys think.................thanks

Disconnect the battery for a little bit, Step on the brake pedal a couple of times.. This will reset the Block learn in the computer.. Drive it a couple of days and see if that helps.

I would also say a fluid and filter service by the dealer is in order to cover your butt. IF they drop the pan and find something wrong, Then they will fix it..

Todd Z

Check your tranny fluid to be sure it's not low and that it's not burnt (darker brown and smells like burnt toast, instead of clear red with no odor). Slipping transmissions will generate more heat, and that excessive heat can damage the fluid, which inturn causes the transmission to slip even more. So the slipping can lead to costly transmission repairs. You may need a fluid change and a band adjustment.

If the service manager did not write up a workorder and at least have a tech road test your transmission, he has done you a disservice. If your O/D Light starts blinking after the warranty is up, you may be looking at a $2500-$3000 transmission rebuild. If he at least writes up your complaint, you have documented evidence that you had the problem before the warranty ran out but they failed to fix it. If they don't write up a ticket, you have no evidence and they don't record it in their computer, and nobody knows what the service manager said, and he won't remember ever saying that when he hands you the bill!

The blinking O/D light tends to be be too late for any quick fixes.

...Rich

Rich is correct...make a record. My 2004 is gone...3 strikes and they were out. Did not fix slippage..a valve, a computer problem, an act of Devine intervention and my dealer took me out of it at a fair price. my 2005 is at 20,000 miles and so far, so good. After making a record if it keeps happening keep after them.

I think you will find that if you disconnect battery and reconnect in a few minutes, it will shift much firmer. Mine does the same thing you say, since I too drive like a granny. When I disconnected after installing my air filter, mine tightened up, but now that it has been a few weeks, it's back to the same squishy shift pattern.

RichardL, you mention the tranny fluid should have no odor; mine is not completely odorless even after checking it immediately after a flush at the dealer. Prior to the flush the dealer dropped the pan to service an issue I was having with the tranny (mild shift flare 2-3?). After taking it home, I checked the tranny fluid and it was not odorless. So then, I had it flushed a few days later and although it shifted better, it still had the same smell.

Tranny fluuid has a smell. So does engine oil and brake fluid. The main point is that the smell should not be a burnt smell.

Tom

Rich and Caymen have good advice, as always...

Get it documented, with specific complaints while it is still under warranty.

The newer Ford T55- series transmissions have what is referred to as an

Adaptive Shift Strategy, or as I have heard my mechanic friends refer to it

as, the ASS transmission!

I had this problem with my '05 shortly after I purchased it in July of this year.

Drove it like Grandma Moses for the first 3,000 miles, and the first time I

stomped on it, it would not go anywhere. The computer learns your driving

habits, throttle inputs, and the like. It tries to maintain a constant pattern

in the computer to help you with fuel economy, as is set up from the factory.

First time you go to do a Richard Petty, as I called it, the computer goes into

a WTF! mode (my analogy). Tries to "save you from yourself", or so it thinks.

As you related to us, tracster, your service manager said that this is a

"charachteristic" of this transmission, and right now, I can't disagree with

him.

Keep us updated, and let us know if it gets any worse (or better)!:)

Oh, By-the-By, my Service Manager at Sloan Ford, Columbia, TN.,(Excellent,

by the way) told me to go out one day and "drive it hard", not abuse it,

but "put my foot in it", passing gear hard, etc... and it will re-learn within

50-100 miles. Did not need to disconnect the battery or reset any codes

(there weren't any) and sure enough, it shifts great now!:D

when you think about the problems I've had with my home computer....I can just imagine the kind of things that can go wrong on a cars computer....esp. software......when you step on the gas.....a computer has to think it over for crying out loud......no wonder they don't run right

I'm almost ready for points-and-condenser ignition, again!

(Old-School guys, chime in here).

At least I had the upper-hand when I put my foot in the gas!!!

The car would do what I told it to do, rather than the car 'saying',

"Are you REALLY sure that's what you want to do?... Because I think there

might be a better way to do what I THINK you are wanting to do?!"

C'mon, now!

When my car (or Trac) starts to second-guess me, I get a little scared!:blink:

FlipTrac and Caymen,

Odors and sounds are very subjective to each individual. While you or I may detect a slight petrolem smell to engine oil, and transmission fluid, they may not be perceived or detected by some people the same way, especially if they do not have an acute sense of smell or if they have a slight head cold. :wacko:

I have known a number of people over the years who detect little if any odor from motor oil or transmission fluids. Some could not even detect the sweet smell of engine coolant. This seems to be more common amoungs heavy smokers? However, most people can detect the stronger smell of burnt oil or transmission fluid.

...Rich