Tranny Fluid Changer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Ellis

Reaction score
Got my homemade tranny fluid changer built, now ready for a test. Uses two M55 gear oil pumps; one as a motor driven from the fluid exiting the radiator [waste oil] coupled to the other which pumps new fluid back into the tranny. I've tested the setup using air and I can drive the system by just blowing into the pipe so tranny fluid pressure ought to work just fine. I'll get some pics of my setup when I run the test which will just be recirculating the fluid. Doing this to check for leaks and operation. Hoses hold about a pint of fluid so I'll need a quart to make up the loss doing the test.

Getting married in two weeks so I have to get this done while I'm still single.

Cool deal,,, Any chance of a video, not just pics?

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.,.

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol::lol::lol:

You know what i mean.....:rolleyes:

Todd Z

Bill,

Glad to hear you got it built. I would recommend using clear plastic hoses if possible just so you can see the fluid flow. You might need to do a little tweaking but it sounds like the hardest part is done.

Good work, and keep us posted.

...Rich

ToddZ, Bill-E, Good Ones!!! (Brandon64, Shame on You!!! Good one, though!)

RichardL, excellent idea. With the clear hoses, you can also see the color-change

of the fluid, as from dirty to clean, to help you out in the process.

Godda love this site!!!:D

But, then, again, would not Bill-E be a fluid exchanger on his wedding night, also?

Sorry, I'll go take my medication, now...:blink:

Very Tacky trancblack. Very tacky.

Well, back to the drawing board. The flow rate of the exiting fluid is not sufficient to run the motor/turn the pump; at least not at idle rpm. It appears that the flow rate through the radiator is quite low for the tranny; it's steady, but no where near "gusher" velocity. Also, it appears that the line going from the tranny to the upper radiator connection is the "to the cooler" line. I thought that it was just opposite. Did use clear hose so I could see flow. Also, after about 32K miles fluid still looks new, red and clear, no vivible particles. Haven't given up though. I'll think about this some more and tinker around in a few weeks.

For now don't have time...getting house ready for new family...bride and her children. Also, footings just got poured for new house. My son-in-law is director of construction at the builder and he said house could be done by February so now have to really get the one I'm in ready for market. Gonna be a busy fall, no time for science projects; just "Honey-do's".

Hope everything goes well....

They should Waite for that concrete to make strength before they pour the next phase..

Normally takes a min of 14 days per section ( footing, wall, slab)... Just to eliminate any cracking issues and more serious problems down the road...

Todd Z

Bill,

When I had my fluid changed, the tech had to rev the engine to about 2000 rpm to get the fluid moving, so I'm pretty sure it's just a low pressure flow to the cooler at idle only. The pressure perks up when the rpms increase. I think I said in one of my earlier post that I doubted that the pressure ever exceeded 5 or 10 psi.

...Rich

Bill-E,

My sincerest apologies to you, and your bride-to-be, if she read that post.

I try to be funny, sometimes, but more often than not, it backfires on me.

(Obviously!).

I meant to offend no one, and if I did, again, my sincerest apologies.

:(

Todd Z Wrote

They should Waite for that concrete to make strength before they pour the next phase..

Normally takes a min of 14 days per section ( footing, wall, slab)... Just to eliminate any cracking issues and more serious problems down the road...

Todd Z

? On what do you base that information. You DON"T even have wait 14 hours, as soon as you can get ready for the next phase, giterdone.

Howard,

I think you may have replied to the wrong post? I don't think anyone is talking about "Concrete" and construction. But it is good to hear from you. :D

...Rich

I suspect higher rpm would cause higher pressure but didn't try that. At any rate, this project is on the far back burner, way far back. Getting house ready for wedding in two weeks and three new occupants...bride and her two children. After 12 years of bachelorhood I have alot of organizing to do. Tracnblack...don't worry, no apology needed. My fiancee never reads this stuff and I wasn't insulted. As for concrete, Todd Z mentioned it earlier. Like many other posts, this one got a little off topic but I started that myself.

Howard,

sorry I missed that parts of the post discussing the footings for Bill's house. :huh:

...Rich

Latest posts