tranny flare....after flush???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A S

Reaction score
well....I had my tranny flushed at a dealership yesterday at 31,000 miles..its a 2003 XLT, 4:10 gears..4X2...non-limited slip...my factory warranty expires in 1 week..last October I had a solenoid assembly replaced under warranty (part # FMC XL2Z 7G383AA) because of occasional 2-3 flare....and now it did it twice since the flush yesterday...almost immediately after leaving the shop....today it hasn't done it at all.....is this going to be an ongoing problem...because to be honest with you...who needs it....I can't believe Ford still puts this crappy tranny in the 07's......think maybe thats why the WILL go out of business someday....I am losing my patience....after reading all the posts on this site and others...the future doesn't look too bright on this transmission..does anyone here think that it may need to "relearn" as they say?....you guys are the best but I am getting pretty pissed at Ford..I hardly drive this truck as you can tell by the mileage...I don't tow anything or haul anything...I live in smooth flat Florida....everyone says be sure to change the tranny fluid every 30k miles....I should have left well enough alone.:angry:

DID the dealer do the flush, or a local shop?? Did you get genuine Ford MercV fluid, not some crap in a bottle???

Todd Z

If it went away then the tranny went through it's learning process and you should be fine...

You allways could disconnect the neg battery terminal for 1/2 hour and force it to re learn...

Todd Z

MOST importantly !!! Did the dealer also install a additive ?? LOOK at the bill !! Did they add the additive ???????? If they did not instant problem. Been their, done that ! Walmarts oil will work but not without the additive....

Bill

Additive is not required. It only involved vehicles that had the wrong fluid installed at the factory (3004's)

I had my tranny flushed on my 2003 before heading to Louisville in June at 21K miles and it runs flawlessly. No additives, no muss, no fuss. I had mine done at the local Kwik-Kar lube center and they use Pennzoil synthetic tranny fluid that meets or exceeds all Mercon-V specs and I get a warranty. I also had my 2001 Sport Trac tranny flush done at 30K miles there as well and also never had any problems.

Since you had transmission problems before they may have just replaced the solenoid instead of replacing the valvebody too. They may have also used some kind of flushing fluid to "Clean" out the transmission (I don't ever recommend that) or they may have also deopped the pan and attempted to adjust the bands and that's causing the problems.

...Rich

RichardL is 100% correct. The additive is not to be used if Mercon-V fluid was used.

I am now at 75,000 miles on my Trac and the Tranny shifts great. As Todd Z mentioned, the 5R55E tranny has a learning curve to it. Drive it hard and the tranny will shift hard. Drive it nicely and it will shift nicely. Disconnecting the battery cable will fix many of those issues. I know if I turn my chip off and then drive it, the tranny will slip. Disconnect the battery cable and it shifts fine, though I can not stand the OE shifting. I prefer the firmer shifts.

Tom

I had mine flushed and the flare came back within a couple of weeks so I put in a new trans filter and did the EPC mod & trans pan drain plug mod and so far everything a-ok. P.S. 2001 that just rolled over 60k.

I had my 2001 transmission flushed at the Ford dealer using Mercon-V fluid with 30k on it .I had no problems or flare before the flush...At 31,200 I started have the 2-3 flair. The transmission was flushed again ( Same Dealer ) this time a additive was also installed. The pan was dropped the first time and filter was replaced.The 2nd time they just did the t-teck.The Flare went away!!!! The dealer wanted to charge me the 2nd flush. I just paid $8.00 for the additive. Sorry but I do not know what the additive was. ( Had a ford part number ) I got rid of most service reciets when I got my 2007 .

Like I said before Been their ! DONE THAT !!

Also note that the value body on the 5R55E transmission was improved. I do not know what year Ford fixed the flare issue.

It ususally is at the 2-3 shift.

The tranny will disengage, then wait a couple seconds and re-engage. Causing it to slam into gear quite hard, depending on how heavy your foot is.

Thats how i'd explain it.

If you drop the pan and do the EPC (pressure control) adjustment you will increase the line pressure in the transmission. That will be enough of a pressure increase to over come the sticking shift valves in the valvebody as long as it's not been slipping too long and worn out the clutches or bands.

...Rich