tranny fixed...now what

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A S

Reaction score
well........I got the EPC solenoid replaced......and it shifts better now..........but.......I now have this whistle noise that sounds like my old '69 Plymouth Satellite when the tranny filter needed changed......you know....I am getting pretty tired of Ford and their attitude that we are supposed to just accept this crap......if you do the research on the web......you will see that the 5R55E is notorious for various issues.....yet Ford continues to use it even though they know about it.......I just don't get it........sorry for the rant........but my truck never goes off road.......highway only...no towing.....4:10 gears.....its an 03 with only 24,000 miles............and yes......its under warranty.....but I can't enjoy this truck.........Ford and all other car makers need to realize that the internet has connected all consumers......we know about their products........they better start paying attention.......the Japanese know this fact.........maybe thats what GM's problem is......I want to buy American......I just can't find one thats worth the hassle :(

Mine has always had that sound. Got it with 4500 miles on it. Just changed my filter and did the EPC adjustment and the sound is still there. 47,000 miles on it now. I know what you are saying about Ford and using thier junk tranny's when they have had this problem fron day one. Chrysler is the same way. I never cared for their tranny's either and they still use them. Maybe the reason you didn't have the noise before was because the selnoid wasn't working properly since it's what monitor's the pressure in the tranny to begin with.;)

May not be the tranny.... Could the rear end...

Todd Z

I will admit that I stay away from automatics if I can because that eliminates one potentially big expensive problem area. In fact IIRC the tranny in the ST is the same tranny that's in the Lincoln LS? Or very similar anyway. The LS is 5R55N I think. I've never seen an ST with a manual so our ST has the auto, but my LS has the 5 speed manual. No problems with either at this time.

Speaking to other mfrs, last week on my commute to work I saw a brand new Lexus, pretty sure it was the new IS 350, and the passenger rear wheel had broken off. Not fell off due to loose lugs - it looked like the axle had broken. None of em are perfect. Which is not to say that Ford doesn't treat us like a bunch of idiots with bags of money sometimes.

Tracster! I just got hit with an estimate of $3323 for a new tranny. I bought my Trac in June 01', ordered from the dealer with 4 miles on it when it got to the dealer. I have manually driven most of the 116,989 miles of it. and had no symptoms of ANY thing going wrong with it! Then after checking some fuses to see why the horn would not blow, I got in to crank it up, and LO & BEHOLD, the dreaded (according to this site's owners) OD light started to flash! I had not even driven it since the night before! I put it in drive to guage the actions of the tranny and it trudgingly went slowly forward, but without the normal spunk it had before, so I drove it about 150' or so and it was really struggling to pull and seemed to idle up and down like it was catching breath, so I pulled it back into a parking spot and went online to Mysporttrac.com to seek help from owners and found that it was a dreaded scene to see. I took it to the dealership and they called and said it would be needing a NEW tranny because it was basically shot! All this without actually driving around town! A total of $3,323 was quoted to me by the SW, and he said there was not a lot of recalls on this tranny that he knew of. Bull----! I love Ford trucks, but they do have to be better or else I won' mbuy one again. I researched some sites and found a better buy than the dealer gave me, so I am now working to get the scan codes I paid them to do and seek another install at a reputable service shop. Thanks for letting me take the time to vent!