Tranny DIpstick - Stupid Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marsha Walker

Reaction score
Ok pretty sure my tranny fluid is low. It is leaking at the radiator and yesterday it slipped on me. My problem: I can't read the dipstick! Feel free to laugh! Should I be seeing a definite/obvious line of fluid? Does anybody have a picture? I see fluid on the stick but it seems to be all over the place. I added a little (1/4 quart maybe) but didn't seem to change what I was looking at... HELP PLEASE!

Checking with the engine at operating temp, running, and in park on level ground? (Pages 196-198)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes - sort of.

Stupid question - did you wipe clean the dipstick and reinsert it and then check? It'll still have a bit of fluid on it, but there should be an area indicating the level. If done several times with no visible fluid, it may be low.

5. Remove the dipstick, wiping it clean with a clean, dry lint free rag. If necessary, refer to Identifying components in the engine compartment in this chapter for the location of the dipstick.

6. Install the dipstick making sure it is fully seated in the filler tube.

7. Remove the dipstick and inspect the fluid level. The fluid should be in the designated area for normal operating temperature or ambient temperature.

its kind of like lightly all over the stick, im not even sure its on the stick. can somebody snap a pic and post it of a filled level so I can see it? Thanks for the input!

Marsha- That's only a 2001 ST owners manual link. Don't do anything until you read. Try this link:

Marsha - If it is leaking at the radiator as you previously noted, check your radiator fluid. If there is any red tint with bubbles in your anti-freeze, you might have an internal radiator failure like I had a few months back. Also, look at your overflow bottle and check the color of the fluid in it. A transmission fluid and anti-freeze mixture make a Pepto-Bismal looking fluid that is very oily. You'll have to replace the radiator and flush your engine cooling system if this is the problem. If there is no cross contamination, your problem is not internal to the radiator. Good luck with solving you transmission fluid problem.

The tranny dip stick can be hard to read, make sure you are in a well lighted area.

Make sure stick is dry when you put it in, seat the stick and pull out right away. Usually on one side of the stick there is a line indicating fluid level, the other side will not have a clear line. Hold the stick one an angle with light reflecting on it to see better, Tranny fluid is not as dark as motor oil, and it can be tough to read. I usually take 2 or 3 readings to be sure you get same reading.

If there is no line on the stick but oil residue, your oil is low, that was just some oil from the sides of the tube.

sorry no pic as I have my wifes car today, it is a standard.

good luck, Happy holidays!

The Ford technician put a dye in mine when the transmission was leaking. He did it so he could clean everything really well, and then see the origin of the leak. The dye glows under UV light (black light). I would assume it would make the dipstick easier to read as well.

I have found that flipping the stick over when checking sometimes makes it easier.

Todd Z

I don't know where this is, but maybe take a picture of what you have a post here and or look at another (any) with known condition, so you can get an idea of what it's supposed to look like.

I took a couple pics of mine (with and without a flash). If you look real close, and squint, you'll see the fluid level is about 1/4" above the bottom of the crosshatched area (a bit more than the width of the dipstick). This is sufficient for just-at-running-temperature with ambient temperature of >50'F.

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

A couple hints on seeing the fluid on the dipstick:

- Hold the dipstick at an angle that will reflect a light source (sun, light, whatever). The dipstick and the fluid will reflect the light differently and you should be able to notice the transition. As Todd notes, it may be helpful to view the back side, at least initially.

- Initially, hold the dipstick upright (with the handle up) and, while watching the crosshatch gauge, slowly turn the bottom up. The fluid (if there is any ;) will pool at the high point before it flows farther. A drop-like puddle should be seen.

Latest posts