Trailer Taillights out..... puzzled

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler Geddes

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently had some issues with a rented trailer that blew out the wiring on my 01 for the taillights only. I have pulled and replaced fuse #30 in the fuse panel on the dash (as noted in manual) and have tested the wire itself with a test light but have nothing, all the other lights work its only the tail lights that do not.

The taillights on the Trac are fine, its just the circuit for the factory trailer wiring.

Any suggestions?

It's possible that there is a short or grounding problem on the trailer lights. Ford uses a seperate circuit for the trailer so your vehicle lights will continue to work when the trailer lights have problems.

Are you checking the harness on the back of the Trac itself, or are you just looking at the trailer hooked up?

Tom

checking the harness on the truck, I know the trailer is good, I used my old mans f150 to pull the trailer last and they worked.... its something on the truck itself.

OK. It could be a few causes. One of them is corrosion in the plug itself. Also check the wiring going into the plug itself. I have found on some plugs the salt and grime eats into trailer wiring harnesses.

As long as you are positive the fuse is good, then I would check there first.

Tom

Take a good luck at the plug itself. It is common for it to corrode inside of the female part of the plug.

If it is all white and cakey or green,,, there is the issue. Will need to be cleaned out and then keep it lubed up.

have gone right into the wire with my test light, its not working, have replaced fuse #30 in the fuse panel inside the truck, is there another one under the hood I should be checking?

I think I may just give up and tap that line up into the actual taillights on the truck.

It's a 7pin, not a 4 corrosion does not exist.

Corrosion can happen in the wires going into the 7 pin plug. It doesn't take much.

Tom

Is the #30 fuse the one for the trailer wiring or the tail lights? seems like it was #19 or something like, but i'm sure you're looking at the manual so you're probably rite but double check just in case.