Trailer hitch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Bartman

Reaction score
Hello I just bought a 2007 trac as my 2001 just got totaled and I wanted to find one with a class III hitch (two inch square ) but I got a good deal so I bought one with a class II hitch (1 inch square ) on it and I was wondering if anyone ever cut the one inch tube out and installed the two inch tube back in . All the trucks I looked at looked like the same hitch on the back but the square tube was just different any feedback would be aprecated thanks John

For hitch mounted accessories you can get a Class II to Class III adapter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some one did it a while back and I think it cost a bunch.

We have a member that bought the 2" tube. Found a welder willing to do it.

Cut And welded it in. Do a search for his post.

I think the welder had him sign a disclaimer.

Another member welded the whole class 3/4 frame peice in his.

Is it worth the RISK when a new Class III hitch costs $155? :banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
They are welded on now so I dont know how you can put another hitch on and I dont think they make them for an 2007 and if it was as easy as just putting on a hitch I would do that but like I said the whole hitch is welded on now

I would never put a 2" receiver under a truck without the proper structure (full hitch). That's just asking for a major screw up.

Another member welded the whole class 3/4 frame peice in his.

Exactly what he did. The whole frame piece from ford. With a good welder. I see no problem

Same this way also.

We have a member that bought the 2" tube. Found a welder willing to do it.

So how is this any different from trusting Fords welders? Installed the same way.

I had a wrangler with a class II hitch. I bought a 1 1/4 inch to two inch extension because all of the accessories I already had were 2 inch. I think it was $50 or so, probably from Harbor Freight or Tractor Supply. Never had an issue with it, but I also never towed anything over a ton or so.

It was also convenient because it pushed my bike rack out past the big spare on the tailgate. So it was good for me, and I followed the weight restrictions. Neighbors did want to borrow it a lot too.

Still got it plus some things that fit the 1 1/4 receiver if anyone wants to make an offer :)

Only the receiver is different. The crossmember is the same. If you can find a good welder, then cut off the Class II and put on a Class III. Adapters are only good for things like bike racks and not towing. I tried it and bent my adapter. The add-on hitch shown above mounts below the stock hitch and will work but it hangs quite low. I've seen one in person.

I don't really understand the reasoning behind Ford putting the class II hitch on the ST as an option anyways. Unless the whole idea was to get people to spend a few more bucks on the Class II option. With the Class II size being the default go to for most towing/accessory manufacturers, I always wondered.

I ordered my '07 with the Class II in it since I had seen how it was installed, and knew it is not really easy to put a Class II on it later. My '01 had no hitch at all until I put on the Hidden Hitch. Wonder why they couldn't just leave a spot there for the customer to have the option of selecting their own hitch later on...

A Class II is the standard hitch on a Gen 2. A Class III was the optional hitch and included a 7 pin plug for a brake controller. Gen 1's had a bumper ball mount which is the equivalent of a Class II, but that was all. Otherwise you had to get an aftermarket hitch.

This is what ticks me off most about the Gen 2's. When I upgrade, that will seriously impact my ability to find a newer model ST. I will not have a truck without a Class III hitch.

My checklist:

Adrenalin with class III....such a thing exists?

Bo ...I have a '10 STA w/factory 2 inch hitch.

BTW: my 5 or 7 point light connector from the factory has a 4 point connector on the bottom of it also, so no need for a trailer light adaptor if you need a 4 point. Something I hadn't read about on it & didn't find out until laying under the rear to look @ the spare tire.

Latest posts