Traction Control Teaser++ [b]UPDATE[/b]

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Jolley

Reaction score
Guys I think I may have found something with the Traction Control on the Gen2 Tracs. I have to go take a shower right now then to breakfast with the wife. I want to experiment a little more before I post it but I thought I'd plant a teaser seed just for fun.

:p

Last edited by a moderator:
What's a teaser got to do with a shower and your wife????????? :lol::lol::lol:

You don't HAVE to answer that! ;)

Inquiring minds want to know! Haha I was spinning the tires all day yesterday !

Jeff check your email reference Dyno visit

Steve that is just wrong, but it did sound different when I thought it then when I typed it.

Sorry guys but I did say I was also going to breakfast. Well then I got rooked into going to see a movie "Public Enemy" really good movie Johnny Depp does his usual great job.

Anyway back to the topic, latley I have been turning the TC off when I drive just to try and get the feel for different angles and attitudes of the trac. The other day I was in the driveway and I was holding the TC button waiting for the icon to start to flash.

I was kinda watching the icon flash and maybe a little spacing out at the same time (it was early you know) when I suddenly realized that the icon was gone. I figured my finger must have slipped and I hit the button twice turning it back to the on mode.

I hit the button a couple more times and nothing, no icon nothing. When I pulled out of the gates onto the road I turned left and mashed the motor a bit.

There was no stumble, hesitation or you fill in the blank with your favorite word. All the way to work I kept checking things and the TC never seemed to re-engage.

When I got to work I shut the trac off and restarted it then hit the TC button , the icon returned, I held the button and counted 50 flashes of the icon then it again disappeared.

For the past couple days I've been experimenting with holding the button until the icon disappears, until it flashes and without disabling it at all.

Maybe it is just the placebo effect but I feel there is a definite difference between the 3 modes. Especially on takes offs both straightline and while turning.

Programmers maybe you could hook up and see if there is anything happpening when this process is followed. Maybe it is just my trac that's doing it, so some of you other members try it out and see what you think, but I do beleive the TC is definitely being disabled with this process and it seems the RSC is not re-engaging either.

Check it out and let us know.

Thats great BUT you need to SMOKE the tires to see how it does to simulate a dyno situation..

Todd Z

Sounds like you might be on to something, but Todd is right.
How about peeling out in the rain?
My buddy has got a dyno that I can try it out on if someone doesn't beat me to it. Since they only have the software for mustangs, I can't tune my truck, but at least we can test the TC & get me some numbers. It may be a week or two before I can make it up there, but I'll keep you all posted.

Hi Todd

We had rain here yesterday, taking off at a traffic light I decided to see what would happen. I pressed the long pedal a bit agressively and the rear tires broke loose and remained spinning hard enough for the rear of the truck to start to slide over before I let out of it about 3 or so seconds later. The engine never derated to try and compensate for the free spinning rear tires.

Doug is planning on putting his on a Dyno this Wednesday and I plan to go with him, perhaps we'll be able to find out something then.

It's very possible it is just the icon timing out or something but my Trac seems to react differently when I follow this process.

Mine engaged yesterday for about a half mile for no apparent reason whatsoever. Truck would barely move. I hit the button a few times and it went away.

Yeah mine is going on the rollers Wed...I'll post the graph when we return home. Gonna try to get numbers of the folowing:

1. Stock (baseline)

2. Nocturnal perf intake , stock airbox

3. Nocturnal perf intake with 93 oct perf tune

4. Nocturnal perf "Dragon" intake w/ Maf/filter & 93 oct perf tune

looking forward to it

Adren,

30 MPH is the number.... Sideways means nothing to me, You have to burn them and get the speedo OVER 30 MPH... if you can keep them going, THEN to me it seems deactivated...

Todd Z

It appears even the Ford Techs are not sure what is happening in this case.

Todd,

I did experiment a little more with this on strictly spinning the tires. The first time all was well up to about 35 but the truck started to move so I braked.

Next I tried to power brake to keep the truck in one spot but I couldn't get the tires to turn over so I let off of the brkes thinking I had them mashed too hard, the tires started to spin but the TC kicked in at about 7mph. I tried this 3 more times and the same result each time.

Speaking with the tech, he said that when you mash the TC button until the Icon flashes it disables both the TC and the RSC but the RSC re-engages at 35mph but to his knowledge the TC does not re-engage.

I did experiment with this also and had the truck holding 45 on the speedo with the truck sitting still and got it up to 50 but did not hold it there. I don't like to treat the Trac that way but I just wnated to find out for sure what was happening. I did this 3 times also with the same results, I can hold 45-50 with no derating from the engine.

And that result is after the TC light flashes 50 times.....or holding the TC button till I starts flashing then letting it go?

SO it seems if the FRONT tires DO NOT move the TC will NOT re engage ....

IF you allow the Front tires to move it kills the buzz.... LOL

Well then the dyno is the next test...

And it seems like a power brake is the only fun, if you do not allow the front tires to move...

Todd Z

I tried it on the way to work and yes it is 50 flashes before letting go (to answer the other question posted). I didnt care for it though...it kinda felt notchy or skippy. Hard to describe but I had a sensation of barely depressing the clutch in a manual trans on power delivery. Maybe I was being overly sensitive or it was a placebo effect. Either way, I'm not doing any dyno runs any time soon so not too concerned about it. Not lookin to beat the crap out of it like I was a teenager just yet either.

Steve

Latest posts