Trac Stalled, any ideas???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have an 02, 4x4 with 54k miles.

Went on a nice Sunday drive today. Approx 500 miles round trip. After one of the pit stops, I started the trac and drove about 200 yards and it stalled. The check engine light and battery light came on (the radio was still working). I turned off the trac, waited 30 seconds and started it back up. Drove it a mile to a gas station, no problems, and turned it off. Waited a minute, turned it back on and drove 250 miles home, no problems.

Anyone got any ideas? Could it be a one time thing or is there something I should be checking.

Thanks much :(

I had this happen to mine when it was about 5K miles on it after a 300 mile trip.. It hasn't done it again...

It is possible the IAC valve just stuck from the heat of the long trip. You could clean the IAC motor, But i think it was a 1 time thing..

Todd Z

Intake Air Control motor. Once in a while the software goblin gets the best of your ECU. It is a one time thing. I had the Trac act like crap, missing, poor acceleration, wouldn,t go about 45 MPH, etc. Pulled to the side of the road. Turned off the car. Waited 15 seconds, and restarted the engine. It has been running fine for the last 20K miles. It was a software Gremlin, that's all.

It sounds more like you got the gremlin that hits the ECM's every now and then on the Trac.

Can't hurt cleaning the IAC though...

Like Coastie said, sometimes the EGU has gremlin's that decide to cause a little stalling.

My Trac does it, once in a blue moon. I think it has been twice in 67,000 miles. Theresa's Pontiac does it too.

Tom