TPMS Module

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Hardy

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
2007 AWD V8
I have replaced the TPMS wheel sensors twice and my alarms are continuing. I was told by the Ford dealer it may be a bad Tpms Module. Can someone please tell me where this module is located and if anyone has had a similar issue? TIA

Have to ask, but you have followed the reprogramming sequence, right?

Thanks for responding.
Yes. I’ve had the reprogramming done numerous times by Discount Tire with negative results. In each reprogram, I was able to hear the horn which verified pairing. I’ve even tried various tire pressures.

First I would take it to someone that has a good scan tool, one that can see all the modules. There may be something hiding that won’t pop up on a normal scan tool. Would hate to buy a module and it be something minor.

Have you tried a full reset of the truck? Disconnect positive terminal from battery, isolate it, and put a jump wire from positive cable(not post on battery) to negative cable/terminal and let it sit for 10min? This discharges the capacitors in everything and starts fresh.

Thank you for your response! I’ll try your advisement!
Fred

its in the Body control module in the driver kick panel, the main fuse box.... Nightmare to replace.. Ive don 2, it sucks..

First I would take it to someone that has a good scan tool, one that can see all the modules. There may be something hiding that won’t pop up on a normal scan tool. Would hate to buy a module and it be something minor.

Have you tried a full reset of the truck? Disconnect positive terminal from battery, isolate it, and put a jump wire from positive cable(not post on battery) to negative cable/terminal and let it sit for 10min? This discharges the capacitors in everything and starts fresh.
Blown09 - thx for the advice I tried your
process and the light came on again today.
The sensors have been replaced twice. So I think I’m gonna look at the modules next.
Fred

Keep us posted please Fred. Mine has the same problem since I got it. Just had new tires/wheels put on at Discount and same thing. After I drive around 30 minutes it comes on and sounds alarm. Alarm goes off and then I turn it off on the dash display. Next day all is normal until I’ve gone about 20-30 minutes of driving and then repeats again. Like clockwork. New wheels/rims look nice though.
IMG_2706.jpeg
IMG_2709.jpeg

That’s how these systems work. They check the tires every 20 to 30 minutes of driving. They also check every four hours of not driving. Sport Trac also uses a different frequency, so if you didn’t replace it with multi frequency sensor or cheap Amazon ones or they put the wrong ones in, it’s not going to work. I use Autel dual frequency valve style and no issues. I also bought the programming tool for $20 online and check on myself.

Lonny B- Thanks. I ordered those from Amazon and will install shortly.
DFK - I will keep everyone updated on progress (and hopefully success).
For now, I’ll focus on the sensors and not the modules.

Let’s back up a bit. Who swapped sensors? I find it hard to believe Discount(as much as I don’t like that place) screwed up selecting the correct frequency, twice.

Also, have you tried having someone with a good scanner hook up to the truck? You can see each sensor in the system with most higher end scan tools(the ones that can select modules).

315mhz is the correct frequency(for most fords of the same year span actually).

Blown09 - I never said Discount screwed up. I said that, at my request, they have installed 2 different types of sensors (on all 4 wheels) and paired them with my computer. I have observed the successful pairing process but the alarm continues to go off on the dash. I’ll check with Discount Tire to learn what frequency they are using when they install my newly ordered sensors.
Fred

No, I understand. I was saying it more in a rhetorical sense.

Approximately - about how much does a tire shop charge you to replace the sensors? I know I paid for new sensors when I got the new tire/rim pkg. They worked great when I left DT. Light didn’t come on again til a couple months later when I drove it for awhile. (Being retired it‘s rare for me to drive more than 30 minutes.)
Is there a way to just disable the TPMS and I’ll check my own pressure like everyone always used to?

I’ve always bought my own sensors (eBay), and had them installed whenever I change wheels or tires, so it’s normally included when I swap them. But a sensor only change would probably still run the same cost as a mount(and balance if they didn’t mark the tire orientation). I think I normally pay around 20-25 per tire at my local tire shop(not discount).

Since the TPMS are mandatory on anything built after 05, it’s technically not legal to bypass/disable the system. That said, I don’t know if you can go in with IDS and disable the system. Some people have built a sealed tube out of pvc/piping and put the sensors inside there(with a valve stem to pressurize) and mounted it on the vehicle somewhere so the system still sees them but you don’t have to worry about them in the tires. However, some sensors need to see motion(don’t know if ours do), so do as you want with that info.
That said, I wouldn’t bypass the system, it can save you a lot of headaches, not to mention worst case scenarios. But, your truck your choice. 👍🏼

I believe it can be shut off with forscan now.
BUT i use autel multi frequency and never have an issue....
Program with the $20 tool from amazon.....

Its probably the sensors or frequency OR they suck at programing them. They DO NOT self learn.....
Id try the $20 re learn tool first.

I may be wrong, but aren't the sensors on say an '08 on a band around the center of the wheel?? Will the newer style sensors work, or do they have to go around the center of the wheel ??? (Provided this is true of the location).

Yes but valve stem work as long as they are the right frequency and program. I used autel dual frequency sensors.

OK Thanx Todd !!! I'm gonna look into those.