Towing with the NEWER Sport Tracs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deac M

Reaction score
I'm a new member. I was the first person in my area to buy a Sportrac when they first came out in 2001 to pull my 30 foot, 4000 pound sailboat. While I loved the truck, I have to say that towing the boat was a white knuckle experience on the interstate. When semi trucks would pass you or in crosswinds, it would begin to fish-tail and sway dangerously and even without those issues, it would seem to do the same thing occasionally if I took it over 55 mph. It was a single axle trailer and the boat, being a sailboat (with retractable keel) had high hull sides.

I understand the new Sportracs have a longer wheelbase (true?) and a stiffer frame and so it might now tow better my current boat which is again a sailboat, but weighs 5500 pounds (boat motor and trailer) and about 34 feet long combined on the now DOUBLE axel trailer.

Would any of you care to comment on whether the new Sportracs could handle the boat any better than my old one? Thanks. I've included a URL of my boat's website if that would help any.

You need to remove the OEM shocks as they are terrible right from the factory and add a rear sway bar. If you do this, you will find a HUGE improvement in handling.

Do a search here at the site, you will have PLENTY to read...

The New ST is longer wider and heavier....

With the v8 and class III hitch can tow 7,160 lbs..

The 4.0 with the class III hitch is rated at 5250

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
The issues with your old rig would be solved with LT tires on the trac, shocks, a sway control device between the tac and the trailer, and a tandem trailer. All of these play a role in handling, IMHO.. Shocks on your trailer axle would help, too.. (crazy, but it works..)

Are all these mods you suggest needed on the NEW 2007 Sport Tracs too? Or just on the older ones? I'm considering the purchase of a NEW one , I don't have my old one anymore. Thanks

Deac m,

Actually, most never fully read your original post.

To answer your question, yes the new Trac's are heavier, longer, wider, and have more power. They are rated at a higher towing limit.

With that being said, if I were in your shoes, I would skip on a Trac and get an F-150. They are larger, more powerful, more room, look better, tow more, carry more, cost about the same as the new Trac, and are SO much better looking.

Best part is, the gas mileage will be about the same.

Tom

New ST might handle it, but that's quite a load. An F150 might be better. And invest in a weight distributing, anti sway hitch. Please!

A neighbor of my parents has a new trac (2007) and tows a 25 grady white. The truck tows it all the way from Vero beach fl. to Key largo. It drives like a pig with the boat but it dose tow it fine. When I rode with him we ran at about 65-70 mph max but the boat only has 1/4 to 1/2 tank of gas max and you have to be conservative on gear and people ratio. We had no problems with "fish tailing" or semi wash but he did keep the tong weight heavy and put lots of gear it the back. The truck rides a little low in the back. With 4x4 it had no trouble at the ramp. It really is completely different from the old trac's. Better towing but less capable of road. This all being said, that boat is probably the biggest I could see anyone towing comfortably with a trac.

If you do go with a new trac, I would suggest the antisway gear, and get the trailer weighed so that you have 10-15% tongue weight. This will help the trailer to track better. If your rear squats, then you may need load leveler gear, either airbags in your springs, or torsion bars on the hitch. A lot of times with boats, is that they get moved back on the trailer so that the tow vehicle sits level. Doing this usually does not get you the proper tongue weight. Make certain the tires on the trailer are rated for the weight and single axle use. I always air up mine when i tow to the max inflation pressure... Make a lot of difference even before it switched to LT tires.. Boats are easy to tow as far as wind resistance goes.. HTH

The new Trac will be able to do the job. I tow a 20' double axle trailer which weighs on average 5000-6000 lbs. It does get sluggish up steep hills and definitely suggest making sure the tong weight is correct as someone else mentioned. Need level Trac for better performance.

But as others have said, you might want to look into a F150. If i had to go back i might have changed my mind, love my trac but the 150 can tow more and you can get one for almost the same price.

Just do like I did. I have a 2001 sport trac b/c I love the trac and a 2005 F150 super crew b/c I need the room and towing power when I take my kids on road trips. The best of both worlds. lol

Latest posts