Towing with my 2001 6 cyl., 2 wheel drive

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased a 19 ft. travel trailer, rated at 2,900. lbs. dry. Hard to believe this truck will pull just based on the visual. The manual and local dealer say max. towing weight is 5,300 and it's probably being conservative but, does anybody have tips, advice, warnings etc. I do have a stabilizing system also.

thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is your ST in good shape? Any major rust that might weaken the parts that take the tow load? Is your motor in good shape?

As long as your ST is well cared-for and isn't dying of cancer, sure you can probably do it. Just don't plan on towing it as fast as you can legally go on the highway.

Make sure your brakes are 100%, and change your fluids before towing, if they haven't been changed for a while. If your brake fluid is dark, flush your brake lines with fresh fluid. If the coolant is old, flush the system and add new coolant. A shot of Water Wetter will give your cooling system an affordable upgrade. When it comes to coolant, 100% distilled water (NEVER use tap water!) is actually a more efficient coolant than the 50/50 mix. So if you're towing in warm climates and you're not getting enough cooling with 50/50, switching to pure water might get you through until you can order a larger radiator.

Lubricants, from engine oil to differential fluid should be changed as well, if it's not already pretty new. Don't skimp!

You didn't mention tongue weight. That's as important as trailer weight. Make sure it's well within spec as well. Make sure you have good, solid safety chains and use them. Ditto for trailer brakes, lights and other safety equipment.

I have no problem towing my 21' trailer. It's 3800 lbs ready for a weeks camping(actually weighed on a scale). See the wintery pic of it in my library.

You will need to have a Class 3/4 frame hitch installed. You will also need a weight distributing hitch setup along with an antisway setup which you said you do have.

The biggest thing you will need to do is have an additional tranny cooler installed in series with the stock one. The trannys are a weak point when towing, and I have needed the extra cooler when in the mountains in hot weather. The one I have does not have the electric fan... it's just an additional cooler mounted up front. OD is best left off, unless you are in really flat country. The tranny builds heat really fast every time it shifts, and that includes going in and out of OD. I have a Scanguage II to monitor the tranny temps.

A brake controller is a must for safe operation too. I brought my rig home about 4 miles without one, and that was enough for me. Kind of scary on stops without it, and your 2001 has rear drums (my 2003 has rear discs). I have the Prodigy, and am happy with it. There is no wiring pigtail for brakes on our STs, so you will have to install it, or have it installed.

As was pointed out above, make sure all the required maintenance items are done. A tranny flush would be a real good move.

Gas mileage will be in the 10-12 mpg range... :sad:

You might need bigger mirrors too. I have found the McKesh mirrors about the best on the market, but they are not cheap. Google them, as they are only sold on line at one place.

You will know the camper is back there, but the ST handles it well, given the size of both rigs. I typically run about 60-65 with my rig. Remember, most trailer tires are only rated for 55 mph.

...and... :welcome: to the site!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just drive carefully and watch out for the steep drop offs!

8044587c658d40c575dee045bada63cc.jpg