TOWING WITH BUMPER

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Dog

Reaction score
HAS ANYONE USED THEIR BUMPER TO TOW? AND WHAT KIND OF WEIGHT CAN BE TOWED IF ANY?

I NOTICED THAT I CAN PUT A BALL IN THE BUMPER AND I NEED TO TOW AN AIR COMPRESSOR.;)

The bumper is rated at 2,500 LB and a 250LB tung weight.

I had my bumper move while towing my 1500lb trailer SO if your going to use it, Tighten the bumper bolts under neath first...

I don't think the compressor is much more that 1500lb BUT the ones on my job sites here have the pintel loop and not a 2" ball...

Todd Z

EDIT: Just looked... That was the old fords... THE ST is a class III bumper rated at 3500lb and a 350 tung weight..

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Tongue weight is not to exceed 10% of towing weight. With a class III hitch the Trac is rated for 5,000 lbs tow weight, 500 lb. tongue weight. The bumper is a class II hitch rated for 2,500 [as Todd Z. so kindly stated] so tongue weight is 250 lbs. All of this is in the owner's manual that you should read before coming to this site with questions. As Todd also stated, you do run a risk of unintentionally realigning the bumper when you use it as a hitch. So make sure everything is really tight.

Don't forget, if you use the bumper, you run the risk of denting it while backing up and making a sharp turn. Sometimes the trailer will turn right into the bumper.

EDIT: Just looked... That was the old fords... THE ST is a class III bumper rated at 3500lb and a 350 tung weight..

Todd Z

I just recently pulled a hand-made utility trailer 8x12 foot floor with about 2500 lbs of coal. Total weight was probably around 3500 lbs. Had no problems with the bumper.

Latest posts