Towing with a new trac a bad idea?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my "opinion", if it was me, I'd wait until after the "break-in" period before towing anything. Of course, I have as yet to tow anything with mine, so someone who does alot of towing may be able to help you more with your question.;)

I would let it break in... But what are you towing... a 700lb utility trailer or a 3500 lb trailer??

Todd Z

If it was my new Trac, I sure wouldn't tow anything or even over-rev the engine until after the first 1000 miles.

The owners manual says to wait atlease 500 miles to tow.

I bet that 4.0L V6 would choke on a 5500lb trailer. Seems a bit high even for the larger Trac.

Darrin, I think you might be under estimating the Trac. In 2003 we pulled a 12' trailer loaded with 5 motorcycles from Dallas to Myrtle Beach, SC and I was thoroughly impressed. My guess would be that we were pulling ~ 4,500 to 5,000 lbs not including the gear in the bed and the 4 people iin the cab (a little cramped). That trip sold me on the Sport Trac... At the time I didn't really need a truck, but now that i'm married with toys (motorcycles and 4 wheeler) it's time to order an 07 Limited V8!:D

Not to mention that my bike club just bought a 26' enclosed trailer (see my library) that i'll pull locally when we attend bike functions in the area. For the long hauls to Miami, and Atlanta when we've got the bikes loaded we'll use one of the member's F-350 dualy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops, hit wrong button so added this sentance so you wouldn't think I'm purposely posting a blank message.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts