Towing the ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Duff

Reaction score
I am wanting to tow my ST behind my RV with a tow dolly. I have always been given conflicting info on the damage to transfer case. Can anyone please clear it up? Thanks.

My understanding is that as long as the axles that are connected to the transmision are off the ground, it should be okay. That would require the Trac to be towed backwards unless the driveshaft is disconnected.

Never tow a vehicle backwards on a tow dolly. It is extremely dangerous.

If you want to tow a Trac behind your motorhome, you need to install a tranny lube pump or a driveshaft disconnect. Then tow it 4 down.

NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER TOW A VEHICLE BACKWARDS ON A TOW DOLLY!!!

The suspension and alignment specs are designed to turn foreward. What you are towing backwards, your vehicle can, and will start to sway causing loss of control.

NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER TOW A VEHICLE BACKWARDS ON A TOW DOLLY.

Last year, my brother-in-law's Explorer broke the tensioner. He was stranded about 30 miles from home. I backed his Explorer on the dolly. To keep the vehicle under control, I had to stay under 35 MPH. Anything above that at the front end of the Explorer would sway side to side and it I did not slow it doesn, you could feel the Trac start to get pulled around.

Unless you are only doing it a short distance at slow speeds.

Tom

At one time in the Ford Accessories catalog they had a dealer-installed tow kit that would put the t-case in neutral but I don't see it on the website. Check with your dealer.

Regardless, the t-case won't be damaged from towing but the transmission WILL because the fluid does not circulate when being towed and the tailshaft bearings will be toast in short order.

Right, the caster built into the front end is bass-ackwards if you're towing with the front wheels on the ground. Ain't no way it's going to track straight.

I found this device:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys.

JohnnyO, those are the same Remco products that I found and I will find out if the tow kit chip can be retro'd on my '02. That would be the most ideal obviously. thanks again.

A long time ago I saw a project Jeep in a magazine where they put locking hubs on the rear axle too so they could easily flat-tow it. Possibly Currie could custom build a Ford 9" rear with locking hubs (they make them for the front of Jeeps, I wheeled with a guy who had one) that you could put on the back of the Sport Trac. It should only cost about $4000 or so. :blink:

Just kidding. Mostly. :lol:

If it was me, I'd go for the full trailer. You might be able to rent pretty cheap. We have several places around here that sell all kinds of trailers. Some of them will even rent to you. What ever you do good luck and have fun on your trip.

Darrel:D

Matt if your ST is automatic with wheel drive Get a tow wheels down kit from the for

dealer otherwise use the Remco drive disconnect. The dealer kit is about 50.00.

The kit is simple to install, then take it to dealer to have your computer programed

for towing. I have used the Remco on my 05 ST and now the kit on my 07 ST with

4 wheel drive.

Matt, DaleM is right. If yours is a 4x4 get the Ford Neutral kit. It's about $115.00 from your Ford dealer. You can tow yours four down without a dolly with this kit. It allows you to put your transfer case in neutral and your transmission in park. I tow my 05 4x2 four down without any problems. I have a Remco driveshaft disconnect and Blue Ox base plate and motorhome mounted towbar. The Trac tows great. It's a little heavier compared to the Mazda B3000 I use tow, but I use a supplemental breaking system.

Problem with a full trailer is that when you get where you're going (campground or infield at a NASCAR track :D) then you've got to put the trailer someplace.

Latest posts