Towing issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Diebolt

Reaction score
I have a 2007 ST, 8 cyl. with less than 6000 miles. I get about 10 mpg towing 4000 lbs. When I have gone on a couple trips over 200 miles there is white smoke on start up the next couple times. Is something wrong?

Are there after market mirrors that will aid vision while towing?

pd

wow...

I guess the questions are:

How fast are you going?

Heavy foot?

Hilly terrain?

I have identical year and engine. I tow between 4 and 5k as well.

I live in South Florida so the roads are very flat. I tow no more than 55 - 60mph and get between 14 - 16mpg. I have a VERY LIGHT FOOT when starting off - to the extent that the folks behind me get pissed - oh well.

For me, I would guess it's mostly on the foot.

Edit: I recently towed several hundred miles - again - across a VERY FLAT area (I-75 across Alligator Alley - Ft Lauderdale to Naples) - Maintained 70mph and got 13.5mpg - consistently.

Just an update.

Last edited by a moderator:
The white smoke is you burning off the water in the exhaust. The water is a product of combustion and the pipe condensation when cooling down inside the muffler...

Thats normal..

Todd Z

I also have the same vehicle 07 v8 limited. I tow a 4300 lbs 2008 travel trailer and I also get about 10 mpg. I have a very light foot and never go over 60 mph. My 02 ranger edge 4.0 liter v6 used to get 27 mpg, no heavy foot there.

I have mirrors that hold on by suction cups, one on each mirror. Excellent product, purchsed in montreal for $49. I don't have the name handy the trailer is away for the winter in a snow bank.

Take care

Ed

What type of trailer are you towing? Full size TT? Popup? boat?

The front surface are will impact your mileage greatly. I have the 4.0 and got about 15-16 towing a fully loaded popup (close to 4k) but there was nothing above the level of the ST except the ac on the roof. Towing a full size TT, I got around 11. Light feet, slow starts, long stops.

Mine is a full size 24 ft travel light. It is big but the front is aerodynamic. In my case I think it's because the engine revs very high round 4000 rpm. I hope after the last tsb on the tranny it might help.

The front of your trailer may be "aerodynamic", but you're still towing a 4000 lb brick. 10mpg is normal when towing a trailer. Is that 4000 lbs empty? If you factor in how much stuff is loaded in the trailer, how much is in all of your tanks, the front/rear weight distribution of your stuff in the trailer, and the tongue weight, these will all impact your towing mpg.

I used to tow a 5000 lb hybrid trailer with my '04 V6 and got around 11-12 mpg on flat terrain at 55-60mph.

Latest posts