Towing a ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i believe it can, but these things are heavy !! check owners manual for neutral tow.

I think you need to have a "neutral kit" installed which is nothing more than an led light to let you know the trans is in neutral. I believe Ford has to flash the computer to get it to go into full neutral (or something like that). I guess I need to ask the Ford dealership if they still do this computer mod for a 2008 ST. I think I know what their answer will be. I was hoping to tow this behind my motorhome without buying a damned car trailer!

It’s the transfer case that has to be locked in neutral as well. The transmission you can just simply leave the shifter in neutral.

As I gather, the "flash" of the computer tells the transfer case to go to neutral. With auto 4wd it won't do that unless the computer tells it to. The problem for me will probably be the age of the vehicle (2008) and the dealer knowing how, or willing to, flash the computer. If any of you have had this done recently in order to make your ST a Toad, I'd really appreciate some feedback.

I beleive you can use forscan and do it. There are write ups on line but just hard to find.

Latest posts