Tow hitch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used ones are almost always rusted and in bad shape... New ones are pretty cheep any way. Ebay or Online.

Todd Z

These things are heavy. Beauty with Amazon is their usually free shipping. Ball mount sold separately.

i put this one on my 04 about a month ago, towed a small boat all over Maine with no problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bobk, nice to see someone else from up in this neck of the woods.

Also, is it worth getting a hitch, even if the standard ball hitch on the bumper is rated for 3,500? Not that I need to tow anything, just thinking for down the road. ('02 ST)

When I bought my '01 last spring, it had a ball on the bumper, and no other hitch. The bumper drooped, the tailgate has a poorly done repair, and one taillight was broken. The bumper cover is also broken. All that leads me to suspect a heavy trailer was hooked to the ball on the bumper, came loose, hit the bumper, tailgate, and taillight. This could have happened even with a frame mounted hitch, but is probably less likely. A contributing factor may have been loose bolts holding the bumper on. I could only get 1 bolt tight enough to hold the bumper up in place.

I put a Curt hitch on it, but that old ball is still on the bumper because I haven't been able to get it off. With winter coming, and family members driving the truck, I'm concerned someone will hook onto that ball trying to get someone unstuck.