Total horsepower increase

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im curious about all the various perfomance mods recommended on this site... from the intake to 3 or 4 mods on the exhaust system, to underdrive pulleys and xcal's. All ppromise 5 to 10 or more HP increase. I wonder if each gain is cumulative and if so what the total increase would be. The stock engine is advertised at 210 horsepower... with all the mods does it hit 250 or more ....

just curious

Remember that the HP number given is at the crank, not at the wheels.

When adding mods, the HP increase isn't cumulative, it just doesn't work that way. An exahuast may add 5 HP, add an intake to that and your total increase may be 8 HP, even if both claim a 5 HP increase each.

With all the mods out there, you may could get 250 on a good day. That's like 190ish at the wheels...which isn't a lot, espically considering the weight.

The proof is in the pooding...

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Todd Z[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd,'KYou might want to clearify your dyno runs.. The first run shows 228 HP while the second run shows 215 HP. That's a loss of 13 HP. What mod did you add or remove to make those changes and what do you have on your ST to get to those HP figures??

...Rich

I honestly wouldn't trust any suggested hp gains that they claim. The only way to really know the actual gains is to dyno the before and after each modification. The last car I had dynoed stock at 250, and after intake, full exhaust (headers, no cat, borla cat-back exhaust), programmer, throttle body, and pullies, it dynoed at 315. With all the claims from each product it "should have been" over a 100hp increase. So I'd suggest dynoing before and after to really get the true increase. I'm curious, has anyone dynoed the ST bone stock?

Rich, the thing with Todd's dyno runs, is it's taking the max values where you can see that it shifted, therefore the firmer the shift, the higher the torque and hp. After it shifts, it shows around 205-210 at the wheels. When I ran my dyno, Wayne locked it into 4th gear, the true 1:1 ratio, and I got my results from that at 198.8 RWHP. I'm confident with the few mods I've got planned this summer, I can make the 210 mark the next time I dyno.

Here is a Link to Anne's Library with stock, exhaust intake, chips all done to show each increase..

Jeff C, Still higher than yours.... :lol::lol:

Rich L, I changed the Tune From the race tune to the 93 performance tune...

Remember IF you take a stock truck and dyno each item by it self, your freeing up soo much that it shows a higher increase than you will get if you have everything on there...

Yes I believe certain combos will get you more HP than others..

BUT dyno time is very expensive and time consuming.

Todd Z

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/134/Dyno%20Graphs%20-%20Complete%20Data.xls

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd, never said mine was higher, I was just stating that you're not actually getting 228 RWHP and 290 ft/lb. Besides, mine's still faster :D:lol:

Latest posts