Toshiba Sat M70 Laptop issue....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Whitman

Reaction score
Holy Crap... I work with computers all day and I have never had an issue like this that I am ready to pull out all my hair...

I had an issue with the OS that was on the clients laptop (XP Home) so I backup all the users important info and want to install Windows XP Pro (This is a CORP Lic Version) I have never had issues ever with this OS and the Key. I actually just did a Dell Laptop and Gateway Desktop using the same Version and Key since its a CORP code for us.

But this freaking laptop won't let me do anything with this disk. I boot to the disk and it basically sticks at teh Windows Setup screen and I don't get a chance to delete the partition, format or even go to the recovery console.

If I put in another XP Disk that I got with a Dell machine earlier tihs week I can go thru the process of installing windows but the issue is it won't let me Activate Windows. When I try and put in the CORP Code that I have it doesn't do anything. Yet I know there is no issue with the code as it has unlimited installs and I have just used it on another Machine.

I tried the following process to change the code and still no luck...

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

3. In the left pane, locate and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents

4. In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify.

5. Change at least one digit of this value to deactivate Windows.

6. Click Start, and then click Run.

7. In the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK.

%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

8. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows, and then click Next.

9. Click Change Product key.

10. Type the new product key in the New key boxes, and then click Update.

If you are returned to the previous window, click Remind me later, and then restart the computer.

11. Repeat steps 6 and 7 to verify that Windows is activated. You receive the following message:

Windows is already activated. Click OK to exit.

12. Click OK.

So does anyone have any ideas as to why it doesn't like the FULL XP Pro disk???

Cheers

Whit

could it be a bios, or memory or other hard wear issue that is not letting it install??

Todd Z

I have no idea... I flashed the Bios to a newer version thinking that might be the issue.... But still no luck...

The other questions is why would it be hardware that would stop a FULL MS XP PRO disk... but yet let it install the version that came with a Dell PC??

I am so freaking confused.

Cheers

Whit

I have actually had a very similar issue. If you can, setup a CD to boot and put the Win98 boot files on it...or create a 98 boot diskette. I have the image for both if you need either of them. When it boots to the '98 startup disk, enter the following strings at the prompt, pressing enter after each line:

DEBUG

A 100

INT 13

(press enter again)

RAX

RBX

F 200 L 200 0

RCX

RDX

P

Q

This will make any data unrecoverable on the hard disk. If you would like, you can go ahead and use fdisk while you're at the prompt to allocate and format partitions then reboot to your XP setup CD.

Let me know if this helps.

- D. Lee

There is nothing wrong with this Laptop.

I just want to have XP Pro on it instead of Home.

But it seems to be more of a hassle.

Trunk: The laptop does not have a floppy so I will have to try and create a WIN98 boot CD some how. If you have instructions on how to make one that would be great since I don't have any Win98 stuff around anymore.

Cheers

Whit

Well no luck... I tried the above...

Basically the same thing.

Windows starts copying the files and than says its starting the Windows Setup.

Which at this point I should get the Recovery console option or Install

The drive stops spinning before I get these options and stops working...

Like I said if I use that Dell disk it works fine.. This disk is XP Pro with SP2. My issue is if I do this once I install it tells me XP needs to be activated and if i use my Corp code that is tied to the disk that won't allow me to boot and install it doesn't like this Key. I am guessing because its tied to XP PRO w/SP1.

I am starting to hate this...

Cheers

Whit

As a base test, swap another hard drive for the client's hard drive to see if you can replicate the problem. Maybe there is a bug in the hard drive. I have encountered weird issues like this before and that is when I start throwing spare parts at the problem.

XP Pro and XP Pro Corp actually use different algorithms in their key scheme. Are you sure that the Dell CD is Pro Corp like your original CD? It almost sounds as though your install CD has an issue w/ it. The Dell CD is obviously working as you earlier stated, but the key doesn't match the distribution. That's my honest opinion. Sorry you're getting so much grief out of this stuff. Mr G@tes should be proud. I would just install Linux :)

Ya I am pretty sure the Key doesn't work on the Dell install because the Key is meant for XP PRO corp or SP1.

Thats why I am trying to make the CORP disk work so I have a valid key!

Cheers

Whit