Took my Trac for a ride

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. Just wanted to chime in that I took my new (to me, it's a 2003 XLT 4X4 w/17K miles) Trac for a 4 day weekend to Lake Tahoe and I must say, I like this car/truck/SUV/thingy. It rides and runs very well on road, and I took it off road (blue lakes-red lake loop off hway 88 if anyone knows it) and it handled that quite well too. Got between 19 and 20 mpg overall which I'll take.

Couldn't help comparing it to the Cherokee I've been driving for almost 20 years (210K miles) and it compared well. Better on the road, not quite as good off road because of: wider turning circle, gearing too far apart so 2nd gear in 4WD low is not usable downhill, stock tires not real confidence inspiring.

Overall, really pleased with this vehicle. CU on the road.

Glad your happy... What kind of off roading where you doing that you needed 4WD Low??

Todd Z

I used 4WD Low when I was crawling up and then over and down the pass on this Red Lakes Rd, Ca Rte 9N01 off Hwy 88 near Hope Valley. It was pretty steep with sandy soil mixed with rocks to crawl over. Wish I had thought to get out and take a photo. I did take one shot of Red in the aspens. I'll see if I can figure out how to upload it.

G

Latest posts