Tonneau lock

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the key you have doesn't work they might have put a different cover on it......

You can have a locksmith take the cylinder out and make a key for it....

It is the same style key as the truck

Todd Z

I just went through this. Some early 2007 trucks (like mine) had a separate key or even an odd-keyed lock.

The best thing to do to go to a locksmith or obtain the tumblers and do it yourself. Getting the chrome case cover off is the hardest part. The lock was made by Strattec and some of the parts are available, although maybe just to a locksmith.

I ended up buying one lock service pack (7L2Z-7843432-B) and it had plenty of spare tumblers for both locks since only the last 5 (of a total of 8) tumbler positions on the key are used.

I have other info on this if needed...

I would check in to what bambam suggests. As he also notes, the chrome cover is (pardon the pun) key. If you can get a replacement, then if you trash the existing, it's no big deal.

The lock at the rear of mine was popped out by my ice-chest and I replaced it with a Ford OEM part (~$80.00) that included all the tumbler parts one would ever need. It was easy matching it to the existing key.

Some tidbits here:

Last edited by a moderator:
Also,

before you do anything, play with the key some. Both my locks never worked so smoothly and I had to wiggle the key a few times left and right to get them to work. I'm assuming it's because the previous owner didn't use them much.

Never liked the factory Tonneau except for its strength. Have since gone over to bakflip. Very happy with it.

Good Luck

Latest posts