Tonneau cover

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Abson 3

Reaction score
Anyone know if the roll up covers are waterproof, water resistant, or leak like a sieve? I'm looking at getting a cover, but want something that will protect luggage during rain and snow. Yes, were trying to stay cheap, and away from the hard shell or hard lid type covers.

Jeff, I don't know any tonneau cover that claims to be 100% water proof. Most will claim to protect your items from the elements but not guarantee that some water might get into the bed. Just remember that the more pieces, hinges, seams or seals there are, the more potential leak points.

Much of the water-resistance comes from proper installation, but, over time, even properly installed covers can have the seals deteriorate and start to leak....some faster than others.

The other problem is if you open the cover after a rain...water that was kept out when the cover was closed can drip into the bed and now who is to say that the leak occurred before or after the cover was opened?

...Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had the OEM cover since I got the ST (2000) and it leaks very little by the hinge. No replacement parts or repairs; can't complain.

Thanks guys, went with the Access Limited Edition Tonneau Cover, installed in a short amount of time, and so far with all the rain that we have had, no leaks except for 4 very small minor ones. Guess where from.....the 4 bolts that connect the bed to the frame. acceptable!

Latest posts