Tonneau Cover Locks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Len Zinger

Reaction score
Both locks don't work on the tonneau cover for my 2003 Sport Trac. Local ford dealers don't have any solution other that to sell me new locks or new cover. Has anyone else had this problem and able to fix the locks somehow? Phoned a regular locksmith and he didn't sound very encouraging either.

I had the exact same problem last week after washing the trac in cold weather. I used lock-deicer and that didnt work. 1 works now and the rear one wont turn at all.

I went to my Ford dealer last week, to have a new key made for my remote start. While I was waiting, i asked the service manager if there was anything I could try to get my locks to work again. Their is not a lock on my ST that works anymore. Both the front doors, the tailgate, and both locks on the cover are froze up. The service manager had me pull into the shop, and he used penetrating oil and worked the lock by shoving the key in and wiggling it around then pulling it out and repeating. He got both front doors and one of the bed cover locks to work again by doing that. I was very happy, and he didn't even charge me for his help! I am planning to work on the other two locks, to see if I can get them working again. He told me that it was a fairly common problem on Sport Tracs. Hope this helps.

Brett

By "froze up", DUNERUNNER means that they would not move as if they were frozen. He was not being literal.

Locks are expensive, about $80.00 each, as I recall. They come complete with parts to match your current key, and it's pretty easy to do.

Len, is yours an OEM cover? Assuming it is, and you put the key in and turn it and hear a click, but won't open. Check the flat metal clip that holds the lock cylinder in place. if it is not that could be the ends of your cables may have come out of the slot they need to be in to give tension to open the latches.

if you put the key in and turn it and can't turn it. That could be, slight rust or debri in the cylinder...OR you locks need rekeyed.

Ford will not sell just the lock cylinders...they make ya buy the whole lock assembly and cables.

also, Have you tried the emergency cable under the cover to see if that half will open. If you pull it slightly, you should hear a click (latch opening) you should be able to open that half of the cover so you can look closer at the cable and metal clip on that side.

kinda weird they used to work and now don't for a year.

these are just some ideas to check and ponder on...

I purchased only the lock cylinder in September of 2005. It came with a full set of tumblers and complete instructions.

Mine were broke when i bought my trac, turned out the cables were broke on both sides at the latch. give that a look and see if there still attached. Also when i had it fixed they had to "wind" one of the cables back in the lock end. he said it came "unwound".

I tried to do that at the dealership in Kingman, AZ Yardsale. Maybe it was just the part guy. He didn't even know what I was talking about and I had to show him, myself and look in his part books for the right cover and assembly set up. LOL He TRIED to tell me my cover was not an OEM cover.(SOME peoples KIDS)