Tonneau Cover Locks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blksn8k

Reaction score
I helped my sister buy a used factory tonneau cover for her husband's '07 Sport Trac from a another member and now they are wanting to change the locks so they can lock the cover. Their local Ford dealer quoted $120 for two lock barrels with keys. What other options are there? Has anyone had a locksmith match the tonneau cover locks to their ignition key and what was the cost? Thanks.

I just did it for my 2010 Sport Trac. The cost was slightly less than that for the units, but I had to order them online. The local dealer couldn't even get them, which I found odd. The part number that you are looking for is 7L2Z7843432B and can be found here : https://www.tascaparts.com. Cost is about $102 + shipping for both kits.

I took the lock kits and my key to a locksmith and they were able to rekey it no problem (cost was $25). All the required wafers are part of the kit and everything that the locksmith needs to rekey it to your key is included in the package. Pulling the old units from the tonneau cover is REALLY easy, so just plan on doing it yourself. just flip the cover upside down, and pull the 2 nuts off of the release mechanism case, then pull the u clip off of the case and that will release the lock from the cover. Put the new lock in, put the clip back on and then put the 2 nuts back on. You should be able to do each lock in about 5 minutes or so.

Pull out the lock take it to a lock smith have him make a key to fit the lock.

That is what I did cost $20.00 with new key.

If you do that though, then the key won't match your ignition. For me it was a priority to have them all match, but then I have a bit of OCD. Downside is that I now have 2 tonneau cover locks with a key that I am not going to use. Anyone want them?

Yardsale's post. :supercool:

That's the easiest and best solution and probably cost less than $50.

...Rich

Here's part of the email I received from my brother-in-law today. This is what his local locksmith told him:

These lock cylinders can?t be rebuilt. They would have to break them to get them open. Oh well!

Tell him to go to another locksmith.....preferable one that knows that the lock can be rekeyed without having to break the lock !

Their local Ford dealer quoted $120 for two lock barrels with keys.

Keys should not be needed. When I ordered a replacement cylinder for mine (ice-chest bounced and popped that thing out on to a trail, somewhere ...) it came with the stainless steel cover not installed, so that the lock could be matched to the key (all parts included). It was $80.00.

To re-key a lock, the cover has to be removed (by simply bending the four tabs) and either reused or replaced. A locksmith should have replacement covers (it's what they do). If not, move on to another.

There are instructions in my library (please pardon the upside-down orientation of the scanned pages).

Gavin,

LaRue is rehabing after Knee replacement surgery. He probably has his days filled with PT. He has not posted here much in the last few months...

...Rich

Yardsale, will those instructions work for Gen II locks?

I have also contacted LaRue and he has made some suggestions. Thanks.

I can't say for sure, but car lock cylinders are not rocket science and have not changed in, what 20 years? With some general knowledge of mechanical devices, I think they'll be good enough to get you through the job.

Latest posts