Tonneau cover lock

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P M

Reaction score
The rear lock on my Tonneau cover recently stopped working correctly. When I turn the key it pulls the cables a small amount, but not enough to release the latches. The key turns the lock fully, but the cables stop moving after a small amount of movement. I can still reach in and manually release each latch, but I want to get the key/latch working correctly again. Anyone know an easy fix for this, or know if the lock and cables can be easily replaced?

Thanks in advance.

The cables may have stretched, You can replace just the cables...

Visit Rusty's site, he has them there..

Todd Z

Cheap fix is to tie knots in the cables at the ends (so the knots won't contact the cable housing). This will shorten the cable a bit.

Try lubricating the cables with WD40. Spray a little at each end and into the bottom of the lock assembly. This was an easy fix for mine. No trouble since.

Cables don't streatch that much (mine are going on 6 years old). The problem is that the key turns a small thin plastic hook mechanism that pulls the cables. This hook is only about as thick a fingernail and only the tip does all the work. (it's not much bigger than a hang-nail) When the tip breaks, and it will break, it will pull slightly on the cable but then the hook with the broken tip will slip and stops rotating the cable drum that pulls on the cables. You will have to replace the entire cable assembly.

That's exactly what mine did so I designed and built a whole new power locking system that connects to existing power door lock system.

...Rich

Hey Todd Z,

Any suggestions/procedure to removing the old cable assembly? I've bought a replacement from Rusty but too chicken to just twist off the old one.

Yes definitely stretched since I have about 3/8" slack at both ends. I've been opening the tonneau by sticking my thumbs into the latch slot and pushing the cables to release the lock.

Thanks!

Keith, here is another option. I did this with the addition of some bicycle cable adjusters. I've been using it for over two years now.

Do you have a part number and/or link to the cable? Thanks.

Look in "Specials"

ST-hard tonneau cover -REAR CABLE--7.95-SHIPPING

Part# 1L5Z 99286B61 AA

Regular price: $34.18

Special Price: $30.76

Thanks. I'll start with trying to get some slack out of the cable and if that doesn't work get the new cable and possibly the whole assembly. As the key is turned it just stops pulling the cable. It does not feel like anything is binding and the cable never pulls tight. What Richard is describing pretty much describes it right on. Thanks.