Tonneau Cover lock

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian D

Reaction score
Recently I found that I am not able to unlock the rear lock of my Tonneau Cover . Looking futher I found that the cable barrel housing is not on properly. In fact it is barely hanging on.

How do I re-attach the cable barrel housing to the lock? And what does the strip of metal that is in the middle of the lock do? And why does it move back and forth.?

Thanks as always,

Brian d

there is a project to convert the locks to quick release, therefore you do not have to use the lock. I just did it, well worth it.

I just snap the cover back on. If it keeps falling off, maybe try Gorilla tape or a strap of sheet metal running under to both sides where the rubber plugs are and replace the runner plugs with carriage or elevator bolts (see link).

That strip of metal extends from the lock cylinder to rotate the cable spool which pulls the cable and releases the latches.

It moves, in many directions, because there is only a poorly designed spring clip holding it in place. Try bending the clip or inserting shims on both sides.

Latest posts