Tonneau Cover and MPG

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurt Hertel

Reaction score
Does having a Tonneau cover help in my MPG. I rember on myth busters that they did the whole MPG thing with tailgate up vs. down. When they did their tests they concluded that the tailgate make a swirl of air that pushed the new are over the truck making it more efficient. my question is, with the tonneau cover, what is the airflow doing and how could it effect my MPG....

There was recently a thread on this. I think it varies from truck to truck, but with the short bed of the ST, no difference.

I've had mine for a long time now, but I don't remember noticing a difference when I put it on.

I certainly wouldn't buy a tonneau in order to save $ on gas. It would take a long time to make up the difference, if you ever did at all.

Now, if you're buying one to keep the rain off your stuff, go right ahead. They're great for that.

I noticed an increase of .5 mpg or so improvement with my undercover tonneau on an 07 v6. They help, but if you want to recover the cost of a tonneau in a short time, a'int gonna happen. I installed mine so i would have a lockable trunk so to speak and the look.

I agree with TJR and Bill...

The short ST bed and no cover is the best bet. When I take mine off, I notice the pep right away.

Unfortunately, I carry all kinds of stuff in the bed so I break that rule everyday.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh well mines not the OEM cover. its a aftermarket fiberglass one. And i was reading on some other post that the sport tracs weight is a big deal... my question is, where is all that weight... i mean ya its a 4door truck but it cant weight that much....

Mythbusters covered this, they came up with tailgate up & no cover for best gas mileage. They also did AC on or AC off, they came up with better gas milage with AC on than with driving with windows down.

I wish I could fold my OEM tonneau cover, put it on the floor under my truck but the Gen2 ST won't clear it if it's folded in half.

Mythbusters did use full-size four-door pickups with short beds. Long roof and not much open bed. My suspicion is that if you have a long bed and/or a regular cab you would see an improvement.

My first truck was a '99 Ranger 4x4 Supercab, 3.0, stick, 3.73 gears, and slow as molasses in February. With the tonneau on it did hold its speed better on the highway, enough that you'd notice.

As far as the AC on or off thing, I heard a guy on TV the other day say this rule is best for saving gas:

Under 45MPH, open the windows.

Over 45 MPH, use the AC.

Apparently, that's where the wind drag from the open windows overtakes the extra strain the AC puts on the motor.

It was discovered by members of this website, nearly 2 years ago that the tonneau cover on the Sport Trac made no significant difference in gas mileage.

The Mythbusters used a full size full size bed F150 for their testing and it showed that the air formed a bubble in teh bed which forced the over the top of the bed. The real question is whether or not the Sport Trac will have the same effect on the air with it's short bed?

My theory is that the long 4 door cabin gets the air moving straight over the roof and the short bed may allow the air to go over the bed without forming the bubble? I think most of that bubble effect is lost with the shorter bed length and therefore there is really no significant difference with or without the tonneau cover, and probably no difference with the tailgate up or down as well.

Air does funny things and unexpected things, that's why engineers use windtunnels to see what is really happening to the airflow. Theories and mathmatics only go so far sometimes and then abruptly take very unexpected turn.

Engineers designing the C06 Corvette encounted a problem when they made the slightest increase in the size of the brake ducts in the front air-dam and it completely and unexpectedly upset the high-speed handling.

So until Mythbusters tests the Sport Trac with and without the tonneau cover, you cannot assume that it will react the same way that the F150 did.

...Rich

RichardL said:
So until Mythbusters tests the Sport Trac with and without the tonneau cover, you cannot assume that it will react the same way that the F150 did.

Wow. How rude. Telling people what they can and can't assume now. ;)

Seriously though, one could assume that an ST would have similar dynamics to an F150 and the same forces at play that lead to certain results for the F-150 would also hold true for the F-150. Those wouldn't be reckless assumptions to make, and clearly wouldn't be invalid assumptions to make.

Yes, I know your point, but the principles at play that lead to the results with the Mythbusters test largely still apply to any pickup. Will you get the exact same results from mfgr/make to another mfgr/make? No, of course not.

The Mythbusters show displayed that the difference either way is pretty minimal.

If you really want to save gas, don't carry your mother-in-law around with you.

TJR

TJR,

I agree that the results of the F150 would be the same for the F150???, but since it's a crime to assume around here, I will not assume you meant the Sport Trac vs the F150.

But I did not make as big of an assumption that you did when you assumed that all pickups would have similar aerodynamic rsults as the Mythbusters test did. Also, remember that the Mythbusters were only testing a pickup truck with the tailgate up vs the tailgate down. They did not test or even ASSUME what difference there might be with a tonneau cover vs no tonneau cover.

I disagree that you can assume that all pickup trucks will have similar results as the Mybuster's test did. There are just too many small variables in the shape, curveture, and length of a vehicle that can cause very dramatic changes in the airflow around the vehicle.

I have already sighted the case with the design testing of the C)6 Corvette's brake ducts that had a very suprizing and dramatic effect on the high-speed handling of the car.

Also, if you look at NASCAR racing, simply a small piece of paper getting stuck on the crill opening of the car can have a significant improvement in the top speed of the vehicle even though it might lead to overheating. That is also why the will occasionally tape some of the crill opening closed during qualifying, just so they can get that little extra speed.

You cannot look at the short pickup bed on the Sport Trac and assume it will have the same aerodynamic effects as the much longer bed of the F150 Heck the short bed might even make the Sport Trac aerodynamicly inferior to the F150.

I'm sure you will quote some fracmented statement out of this posting out of context and put your own spin or meaning to it. Just like you can Assume something, but nobody else can. Unless you can show that the Sport Trac behaves aerodynamicly the same as the F150 then it's just an opinion based on nothing.

My opinion is based on about 7 years of Sport Trac owners stating that they are not getting any significant mileage differences with or without the tonneau cover, and my opinion is that the short bed may be the reason why.

...Rich

There was such a big response to the tailgate up/down show, that they revisited the aerodynamic debate again and did test with and without a tonneau cover.

On my '05, I put a fiberglass cover on and the next two tanks of gas averaged 21.6 then 22.4. After that it dropped back to 19-20 and has been there ever since. Go figure !

Richard L,

The foundation of the results for the mythbusters test was the simple scientific principle of air in an enclosed space. The closed bed creates an enclosed space holding a volume of air what with the bed enclosed on all sides but the top. The aerodynamics of the pickup truck, and I dare say save to assume most pickup trucks, have the fast moving air coming over and around the cab on all sides (top, left and right sides) and then coming across the back of the truck, along the top of the bed. That's the only assumption I made.

The air in the enclosed bed is trapped, it cannot escape, and no amount of additional air can easily be compressed into that pocket of air.

The effect is that the wind going across the uncovered box with the tailgate up rides on a cushion, better said, a bubble of trapped air. The drag of that "air on air" is less than the drag of air on cover, or air on bed (as is the case if the tailgate is down).

So, unless you can say you really believe that the ST is so radicially different in its aerodynamics that there is no air rush over the bed (in any direction) as the vehicle travels down the road at high speeds, then I'm not sure what assumptions I made that were so reckless.

Richard also said:
You cannot look at the short pickup bed on the Sport Trac and assume it will have the same aerodynamic effects as the much longer bed of the F150 Heck the short bed might even make the Sport Trac aerodynamicly inferior to the F150.

I never said you would get the exact same results or have the same aerodynamic effects as an F-150. I simply said:
An uncovered box with closed tailgate provides the least drag and therefore the highest MPG.
If the aerodynamics of the ST allow for any amount of air to rush across the bed then the principles that I describe above would still hold true. It would be an unreasonable assumption, IMHO, to assume that NO amount of air travels across the top of the bed...which would be the only way that said principle and effect doesn't have some influence.

Richard L also said:
My opinion is based on about 7 years of Sport Trac owners stating that they are not getting any significant mileage differences with or without the tonneau cover, and my opinion is that the short bed may be the reason why.

Again, I never made any claims to how significant the mileage improvements would be. I think even the mythbusters episode showed the differences as very minor...a few gallons to the tank at best.

Lastly, Richard unreasonable stated:
Unless you can show that the Sport Trac behaves aerodynamicly the same as the F150 then it's just an opinion based on nothing.

I never said aerodynamically the same. You did. I explained why I said what I orginally said. Can you show any reason to believe that the ST would have "no amount" of air rushing across the top of the bed at highway speeds? I assume there is some. That's a valid assumption. Can I prove it...of course not, I don't have a wind chamber at my disposal. But it is still a very reasonable assumption, and the unreasonable assumption would be that NO AIR flows across the bed at driving speeds.

Show me how assuming that some amount of air traveling across the bed of an ST at driving speeds is a faulty or reckless assumption and we can talk. But please don't give me lame "you should never assume" quotes, because frankly, life is a set of assumptions. If we only acted on what we really know, we would hardly ever act.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
TJR,

You said:

Seriously though, one could assume that an ST would have similar dynamics to an F150 and the same forces at play that lead to certain results for the F-150 would also hold true for the F-150.

And I said that you cannot assume the that Sport Trac and the F150 necessarily will have the same or similar aerodynamics just be cause they are pickup trucks. The length of the pickup bed can play a significant difference in the aerodynamic functions of the two vehicles

When the air flows across the roof or around the sides of the truck cabin, it does not make a radical 90-degree dive into the bed. In the F150 it moves down towards the bed catching the tailgate which creates and traps the turbulent air bubble that causes the other air to skip over the air bubble.

My contention is that perhaps the tailgate on the shorter bed of the Sport Trac (vs the F150's nearly 2 foot shorter bed) is too close to the back of the cabin that it does not catch and trap the air like it does with the longer pickup beds? I am not saying it is more aeordynamic or less aerodynamic, I am just saying that the shorter bed may not create and trap the air bubble in the ST's bed so that may account for why there is no significant difference in gas mileage on Sport Tracs with out without the tonneau cover.

And that is why you cannot assume the aerodynamics of the Sport Trac is necessarily similar to the F150's. I do agree with your assumption that a similar sized truck with a similar length bed would have similar results, however I would also be prepared for the occasional truck that has some seeming insignificant design difference that makes a big difference in it's aerodynamics. Any variation in body surface or design shape along the roof or sides of the truck and perhaps even the hood and windshield angles can change the airflow charcteristics and impact the shape and size of that air bubble in the bed sufficiently to alter the mileage of that vehicle from the assumed norm.

..Rich