Toggle Switches

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor Weicht

Reaction score
got some LED's that i want to hook up to some toggle switches. Probably pretty simple but not 100% clear on how to hook up the toggle switches. And for the power supply on the switches, can it be connected straight to the battery? or does it have to be connected to something thats on only when the truck is turned on?? im kind of a newbie at this so any help/suggestions would be great.

It would be a good idea to have them on a relay so that they can only be on when accessory power is on.

A relay basically has an always on electric feed, a ground, a switched wire, and power out.

So Battery, ground, wire that has power only when accessory is on, and wire to the LEDs switch.

Then you can have the switch on or off, but it will only work if the accessory has power.

Sounds complicated, but it's really not.

If you do wire them without a relay, make sure that the toggle switch you use can handle the amperage needed to power the lamps as the total volts and amps will be passing through the toggle switch.

I also recommend using a relay as they are designed for this exact type of use. Light gauge wire running to and from the relay that turn the relay on and heavier gauge that operate the item, in this case the item are the LED's. (Which I have to think are pretty low amp's)...

You need a test light or multimeter for probing wires for power. There is for sure one that you can use from the radio harness, but you could also probe along the fuse panel and find one and do an add a fuse type of install. (check link)

If you do this correctly the first time, with a decent size wire for power and ground you can always use the same relay for multiple items like extra cigarette lighter power points and such.

I use a 3 relays in my truck.

1 for my extra super bright highbeam addon lights, they only work when the highbeams are activated and the switch is in the on position.

1 for my fog lights (didn't have stock ones) which only work when my parking lights are on and the switch is in the on position.

1 for all my accessories, power inverter, ipod adapter (old school needed power), and an extra switch that I added to my custom center console just in case, all which only work if the key in on or in accessory.

but since i dont have a multimeter, do i HAVE to tap into an accessory wire? or can i just hook it straight up to a positive power source? i just dont want the battery going dead. but it shouldnt supply power to the switch or the LED's if the switch is in the off position right?

You can buy a multimeter and/or test light for like $10.

But if you just want to wire it up, as long as it's it the off position no it won't drain your battery.

The problem is,,,, you will forget they are on and walk away from the truck and come back to a dead battery.

In theory, yes,,, you can hook it to an always hot wire. And if you are perfect and never forget to turn them off you will never have an issue. However, we have all done it in our younger days and you will forget to turn them off.

As noted above, you can by either a test lamp or a very low end meter for small money. Well worth the price as once you have it, you will use it many times...

If they are LED's and nothing high amp, you could hook them to a switched wire already in the truck.....

but be sure you don't over draw any thing.....

Todd Z

Who lives closest to this kid, someone's gotta help him out and show him the ways of automotive electrical. I know we have plenty of knowledgable members done there. :smile0006:

Last edited by a moderator:
Taylor,

If you want it connected to an accessory wire, you can use the accessory wire for the audio system. If you want the LED's to come on while the lights are on, grab the power from the running lights.

If you do not know how to tap power, you either find someone that does and ask them to show you, do some online research, or take it somewhere.

Tom

Taylor, click the wrench next to my name, and look at the starter button project. There's a little wire diagram of a button (substitute for your switch) and a standard 30A automotive relay and a lightbulb. Should be similar to what you may want to do. For the LED, make sure it's a 12V LED, and it will only work hooked up with the polarity correct (LED's only work in one direction).

Let's say you're hooking up fog lights. The big red wire on my diagram would be the wire going to your foglight +12V wire. Then attach your negative foglight wire to ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts