ToddZ I have a question.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Park 2

Reaction score
Hey when you said you didn't sand your cladding smooth before priming and painting, did you use high build primer to go over the texture or did you just put alot of standard primer over it and just wet sanded from there?

I believe he did 4-5 coats of automotive grade paint using professional painting tools. If you build up enough coats, anything could look smooth.

I am also going to use professional paint and tools, as i am doing this at my school (collision repair) for a project, i got most of the sides and bumpers and front bumper smooth but the little grooves I don't feel like sanding them with hand cause it will take along time. So I was wondering since he didn't sand his smooth, did he use 2-3 coats of high build primer or 4-6 coats of standard primer.

Just wondering because I have a quart of standard primer and I don't want to waste money on buying high build primer and activator when I can just use the standard primer I have and just buy some activator.

Oh and does the paint stick well to the plastic, was wondering if I needed to use adhesion promotor.

Yes I know I can just ask my instructor at school, but I'de rather talk to someone who has already done the same thing on the same truck as I have. esp same colors :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Karma,

I used a 3m adhesion promoter. And since the promoter was used, no primer was needed.

I used a single stage PPG gloss black paint with rubberize in it and did 4-5 coats of paint on everything...

Todd Z

Latest posts