Todd 4X4 Engagement follow up

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G Driver

Reaction score
What I found when I opened the Transfer Case: Picture #1 is the pump; #2 is what's left of the chain follower; #3 is the 2h to 4h shift fork; #4 is the input shaft.

h[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

That sucks.... looks like it got stuck in 2 spots at 1 time and broke...

Thats the second i know of on the site....

Well test the motor and the module now to find if they caused it...

Todd Z

Quote from Post---4x4 self engagement:

hummm OK after doing the search thing and reading for hours, I'm thinking maybe the 4x4 module is going bad. But would like a second opinion. 2001 ST truck seems to have gone into 4x4 high on it's own, no dash lights on. I have tried cycling the switch, with no luck, still in 4x4 high. Removed shift motor, pointer say 2wd, truck still binds when driven. Lights on dash work with switch as normal. Removed front drive shaft just to get it home, that worked.

Quote from Post---- 4x4 engagement:

The shift motor works fine. Will move to 4h/4lo and all lights work as designed, also 4lo does engage. I have pulled the shift motor, the shift arm is set to 2h, but the truck is still in 4h. I can manually, with fore finger and thumb, move the shift arm to 4h with little to no effort, from 4h to 4lo have to use a tool. I am thinking the shift arm has broken of a shift fork has come loose. Any thoughts?

I think the pump froze up

My 03 ST had a transfer case disintegrate while under warranty. It was making "dragging chain on the ground" type noises. The dealership drained the fluid and it was full of shrapnel, so they replaced it with a new one.

This is an 01 with 220,000 miles, so no luck with the stealer. This one was quite as could be sounded normal just would nod not come out of 4hi. The inside of the case looks like the pump froze up and cooked the fluid. From the looks of the fiber shift fork it was very HOT in there.

Latest posts