To travel into Canada, I need...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H D

Reaction score
...what?

Next month, I will be visiting Skaneateles, NY for a wedding and just want to visit Niagara falls for a day trip. I've been told a couple different things. Do I need a birth certificate, a passport, or will just a driver's license work? I know some of y'all have talked about your border crossings on this site before. Any information would be appreciated. I'm afraid it may be too late to renew my passport in time and I'd hate to view the falls only from the U.S. side. Maybe the boat ride?

By the way, this will be the ST's first long road trip: Atlanta, GA - Skaneateles, NY. Week long trip with camping stops along the way in Virginia, W. Virginia, and maybe Pennsylvania. Any recommendations for camping sites? Nearby waterfalls are a bit of a priority but not an absolute must.

So, is a passport necessary? I hope not. I'm not sure if its worth the cost to me. Unfortunately, I can't imagine I'll be leaving the country again any time soon. I've been to Niagara, but my girlfriend never has.

Yes, a passport is needed. There are a few other options based on work permits and things to that nature.

You can get an Expedited passport in less than a week. Since no Visa is required the passport will get to you in plenty of time. Expedited will cost more money but it is a quick turn around.

Well, at least somebody takes their borders seriously.:banghead:

Thanks guys. I got some math to do. This wedding has already cost nearly $2k. Who does that to their friends?

Just got back from Canada, passport is totally needed.

Sadly, before that law was passed about increased border security, Canada never even looked at my passport.

"Sir, do you have a passport?"

"Yes I do."

"Well then, Welcome to Canada."

No lie.

Still though, all they do now is scan it. But a passport is definitely worth it, something every American should have. Sadly, unless you fly, no one stamps the sorry things these days :( :(

Last I knew a passport was not required to get you into Canada, it may speed up the process but not required. The problem is not getting into Canada it is getting back across into the US as the US increased the requirements. I haven't actually crossed myself in a while but that is my understanding. They could not deny a US citizen access back into their own country but without a passport (or Nexus card) the process may take a little longer. I was speaking with a Customs agent a couple weeks ago and told him how I do not cross anymore since I haven't got a Nexus card yet and he said not to let that stop me from crossing just be prepared to answer a few more questions. This is just what I think others may have better info I guess. FYI if you only want something to get you into Canada and do not plan on traveling to other countries I would not spend the money for a passport I would get a Nexus card.

If you are only going to be there for a day there is enough to do on the American side to keep you happy, yes I know the Canadian side is general more popular and more commercialized but it is amazing either way.

My wife an I used to travel a lot visiting waterfalls all up and down the east coast. If you give ideas of your general travel route I may be able to recommend some for you. We spent a whole week in NY doing Niagara and several other waterfalls in NY, there are a lot of lesser known falls in NY that are quite impressive, Letchworth State Park and Watkins Glen were great. Not sure how much time you will actually be in NY or what free time you have but there are few near where you will be. I will second TJR said about the Delaware Water Gap Area as there are several waterfalls within a very short distance of each other with easy access. In fact almost anytime we were traveling we would get of the interstates for a half day and take PA Route 209 and stop and visit several waterfalls. Another thing we liked were caves.

Last I knew a passport was not required to get you into Canada, it may speed up the process but not required. The problem is not getting into Canada it is getting back across into the US as the US increased the requirements. I haven't actually crossed myself in a while but that is my understanding. They could not deny a US citizen access back into their own country but without a passport (or Nexus card) the process may take a little longer. I was speaking with a Customs agent a couple weeks ago and told him how I do not cross anymore since I haven't got a Nexus card yet and he said not to let that stop me from crossing just be prepared to answer a few more questions. This is just what I think others may have better info I guess. FYI if you only want something to get you into Canada and do not plan on traveling to other countries I would not spend the money for a passport I would get a Nexus card.

If you are only going to be there for a day there is enough to do on the American side to keep you happy, yes I know the Canadian side is general more popular and more commercialized but it is amazing either way.

My wife an I used to travel a lot visiting waterfalls all up and down the east coast. If you give ideas of your general travel route I may be able to recommend some for you. We spent a whole week in NY doing Niagara and several other waterfalls in NY, there are a lot of lesser known falls in NY that are quite impressive, Letchworth State Park and Watkins Glen were great. Not sure how much time you will actually be in NY or what free time you have but there are few near where you will be. I will second TJR said about the Delaware Water Gap Area as there are several waterfalls within a very short distance of each other with easy access. In fact almost anytime we were traveling we would get of the interstates for a half day and take PA Route 209 and stop and visit several waterfalls. Another thing we liked were caves.

IIRC, needing a passport is a relatively new thing (in the last 5 or so years). About 9 years ago I went to Canada on a day trip while I was up in Maine. It was nice, they just asked for IDs and what we'd be doing for the day. Then they sent us on our way. I guess they're learning a bit from their sister to the south.

Yes, You need a passport to travel in and out of the USA now. If you are traveling on a commercial carrier like Air, Boat, Train or Bus, you must have a regular passport. If you are walking or driving across the borders of Canada or Mexico you can get by with just the new Passport ID card, but you cannot get the ID card unless you actually have a Passport.

I think that was for people who live near the Canadian or Mexican border so they can commute back and forth across the border with just an ID card that fits in their wallet.

If you pay extra, you can get a rush job and have your new Passport and/or ID Card within 30 days

...Rich

I live in the next town over near Skaneateles... Drop me an email, i can hook you up with local sights... Here in NY you can use an enhanced license to get in and out of niagara falls, I don't knopw if GA. has this. If not, defineately need a passport...

PS.. Nice Cougar in your library!! I had a '69 convertable, no where near as nice..

Last edited by a moderator:
EDLs are only available (Enhanced Drivers Licenses) in Washington State, Vermont, Michigan, and New York :(

Shoot, if you're willing to pay an eye from the face, you can get a passport in 24 hours now. What will they think of next?

Also, if you weren't coming from Atlanta I would recc you get some "Dinosaur BBQ" when up in central NY, but coming from GA, you have access to great BBQ already, and Dinosaur is very good (especially for NY), but not great.

TJR

Went to Canada 6 years ago (Victoria and Vancouver) and only needed to show my driver's license but that all changed a year later. Planning on going again in September (Calgary, Banff). Got our passports ready.

A few years back, you MUST have had a passport if you FLEW into Canada. Driving in it was still an option. However, that has all changes and it must have a passport to go into Canada no matter how you enter the country.

As noted above, there are ways around it but they are very specific in nature, not intended for the generic use of the mass population.

Latest posts